Thread: Pays de Tía

Default Pays de Tía

Hello,

I’m happy to show you my first map.
    It’s a satellite view of the ‘‘Pays de Tía’’, a little country of the fantasy universe I created. At the top on the right, you can see the continent on which is situated this country (the world is constituted of two principals continents).
    It took me numerous hours to make this map because it was the first I did in PS but I hope you will appreciate it.

Don’t hesitate to tell me if something seems not to be good.

I’d written a description in details of this country but in French so I don't post it but if it interests some of you I can do that, just tell me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pays de tia..jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	3.51 MB 
ID:	22539

PS: I want to thank Roba, Ascension, Gidde and some others for your tutorials and your maps which inspired me certainly more than I think.

Sorry for my poor English.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Your English is far superior to my French.

That map is quite beautiful; I love the vibrant green colors, and the coastlines/continental shelf looks great. The only thing that jumps out at me as a bit 'off' is the transition from the forests to the surrounding land; the forests seem to be floating. It's especially noticeable in the southeast, where they butt up against those mountains. Other than that, great. And repped!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Dain's Avatar

Really nice work.
    I would probably try to work a bit more on the shores and adjust the rnder of the sea

Have a look in this tutorial made by Tear. There is a downloadable PDf where you'll find useful tips to do that

PS: Don't worry about your english. As long as you post, everybody will not pay attention to that.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This turned out quite nicely, my only little nitpick is that the mountains seem awfully dark.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wip

Thank for your comments.

Diamond I had the same impression than you about forests when I saw the map in miniature in this thread so I had worked on and I hope the result is better.

I also tried to reduce the darkness of the mountains.

Concerning the shores and the render of the see, I think you told about “saderan_tutorial”?
    By lack of time I will try this method another day. Indeed, this tutorial seems very good too.

Thank you and don’t hesitate to give me your impressions; it is like that I’ll progress.

Name:	pays de tia8bis..jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	3.57 MB 
ID:	22564

C'est formidable!

Really, your English is fine. We are not a literary group, so we will care far more about your maps. And there, you have completely grabbed our interest! Is the phrase "a picture is worth a thousand words" common in French as well? This thousand words' worth :-) is just delightful.

The places where the Strok and Rove rivers enter Lac d'Obane don't look flat enough to be plausible deltas. I bet if you "flattened" the texture there, it would look better.

All that lovely texture is well lighted, yet I can't tell for sure what direction the light is from.

Do the brighter and duller tones have meaning themselves?

Putting "days of horseback travel" on the scale is a nice touch!

If you are still hesitant to post large amounts of explanation in English, just post in French - Google Translate can give us the general idea. And if you sufficiently interest someone more bilingual than I, they can always translate your text for the rest of us :-).

I'll post a question (in the proper forum) that occurs to me, looking across your map: is there a good multilingual cross-reference for geographical terms? Go there if you have response to that so we don't hijack this nice work-in-progress thread :-).

I too think this is worthy of reputation, though I still can only serve it out by eyedropper :-). Good work!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

beautiful map, formidable (said with french accent) indeed .. also like the one-day-travel on your scale - I myself is trying to find out what scale my map-in-progress is in at the moment and finding it a bit difficult. I really like the bright colors, they make it a joy to watch
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Wip

Thanks a lot! You are so kind!

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    Is the phrase "a picture is worth a thousand words" common in French as well? This thousand words' worth :-) is just delightful.
    Yes, this phrase exists also in French but it is not very used.

I have “flattened” the delta of the two rivers and, effectively, I find the result better.

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    Do the brighter and duller tones have meaning themselves?
    Yes, this territory can be divided in 3 major parts and I tried to represent it with the colours and tones.
    From the west to the east:
    -A rather green and little hilly coastal region.
    -A hilly region with some valleys and hills.
    -A wide plateau

Name:	pays de tia8bis..jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	3.55 MB 
ID:	22619

Thank you jbgibson for your advices, I’ll keep a look at the topic you linked.
    And thank you Tilt, it’s true that the scale ask to a certain reflection. I hope you’ll find the scale suited to your map.
    The one-day-travel was necessary to me in order to be sure that the map I made was in adequacy with the story I imagined.

I have also worked on coastlines that I found too “abrupt”.

Don’t hesitate to give me your impressions