Thread: Jirna overland

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Rzayne's Avatar

Wip Jirna overland

Ok so not 100% sure if this is the place, but anyway Here is my second map attempt. I think its getting there but not 100% happy It certainly doesn't have the 'feel' I think, but that could simply be because I didn't have a solid design goal and it was more a practice session.
    I'm not really happy with the how the text came out but it might be one of those things thats easier to do in photoshop afterwords than to use CC's own text function maybe?

err but anyway what do you guys thinks? Oh and for some reason the quality/resolution didn't turn out the best. I saved it as a Jpeg perhaps a different format?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jirna2 (1).JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	48810  
    Last edited by Rzayne; 10-05-2012 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Updating map
    My Blog, were I talk mostly about my writing.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I'm not a CC guy so I can't speak to the technical aspects of the map, but I like the general layout of the landmasses. A larger/better resolution copy would be nice; without it I can't really offer any better critique.

updated the map, with a much larger, higher resolution.
    I also changed a few parts namely the planes into farmlands as I wasn't liking how it was looking.

A couple of things stand out as bothersome:

-The two exiting rivers from the lake that then join into one river. Not natural.
    -The rocky spires in the northern forest, and the tents/houses? in the southern plains/farmlands look too equidistantly spaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    A couple of things stand out as bothersome:

-The two exiting rivers from the lake that then join into one river. Not natural.
    -The rocky spires in the northern forest, and the tents/houses? in the southern plains/farmlands look too equidistantly spaced.
    Really? I know very little about geography besides the what i learnt in high school, would there be anything/one specific that you could advice i read to get a better understanding? I thought from what i remembered it was rare for rivers to split, un/common for them to join?

And yeah they are, I'll go over the map when i have time and adjust the rock/farm locations and numbers to make them a little more err natural?

Thanks for the advice so far.

This is a pretty good tutorial on river placement/behavior.

Sweet thanks for the info, ill edit my map and make a note of that.

Updated the map I made some alterations, Although I kinda find it difficult to do the 'random' thing a on settlements/rock formations but thats probably just practice.

I decided to have the capital city resting on top of the river in the assumption that as the town grew they migrated over to the other side as well (or perhaps two towns that became one) ext.
    I also removed the somewhat lonely mountain on the island and gave it a mountain ridge instead as It's likely the top portion of a half submerged extinct volcano, albeit a very large one.

I was also going to try photo shopping the towns/roads/text (add in more discreet icons like the Black dots, stars ext rather than the icons.) but I seemed to have messed up the layers with some of the mountains which means I'll have to figure out how to migrate them before I can do that.
    Last edited by Rzayne; 10-05-2012 at 02:52 AM.

Ok new map, This is the 100% photoshop version of Jirna, This is my very first photoshop map following Ascension's map, following kindari's video tutorial. Its slightly different than the CC3 version, and it shows the full continent instead of just a portion of it. Its still a WIP as I still have to add the borders, as well as the communities to the map. *note* viewed better at a distance, Im not 100% happy with the lava flows close up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My map test2.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	49018