Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A thought occurs

Post A thought occurs

In looking at Ascension's practice castle (which is cool, btw) he said something that got me thinking:

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    But since turning things and adding in a bit of chaos will require me to do all of that manually and take a really long time I have chosen to forego it. At least for now since this is just practice. I still have 2 upper layers and 2 basement layers to go and my steam is running pretty low as you can imagine. Doing all of that would certainly give it that "lived-in" look I'm just not too excited about actually doing it
    Would not something like this make for a pretty cool Community project? We have a CWBP so why not a Community castle or city. The city would then actually have buildings "built" by different "architects".

Imagine, we set a location in our CWBP and grab the Topography. Then we would need a Planning and Zoning Manager to hand out property plots that can be built upon. If you are new maybe you just take a square in poor town and design a crappy shack, lol. Ok, maybe we need to hand out a whole city block. Point is the scale would be set and we could design something to fit in that space...pretty much like a lot of mid-evil towns grew up.

I thought it might make an interesting project. I'm sure the final outcome would pretty unique with all the different styles in this community.

Alternatively, perhaps a building design could be done as a monthly challenge and then cobbled into a single city, town or village depending on how many entries we could use.

If it turned out nice maybe we could add it to the CWBP.

Let the brainstorming begin, this is just a thought that I figured might fit into the spirit of this community.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think it's a great idea but I am biased...I brought up something very very similar in the community leaders forums.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Alternatively, perhaps a building design could be done as a monthly challenge and then cobbled into a single city, town or village depending on how many entries we could use.
    A single-building version of this combined with ideas from the Ultimate Mage's Tower thread should make for a very nice monthly challenge. Every challenge entry would be detailing a single floor of a mage tower. To make things more interesting, let's say that it's home to more than one wizard - perhaps a magical academy?

You could put anything you want on your floor, and it won't matter if there are multiple entries with similar functions (eg. multiple street-level floors); it's a magical tower after all, so reality might be warped in bizzarre ways. Perhaps all floors would be required to conform to a similar shape (eg. roughly circular or polygonal) but other than that they could vary radically in their style, even their size.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Sounds like an interesting idea to me...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Yes I guess up to now we have relied upon people saying "hey how about I take that chunk" but we could do with some blocks that have been cut up from the various maps and then put these in a bucket of selected places that need mapping. At least the map ought to fit perfectly into the slot. A problem with the grab anywhere approach has been that people take odd sized bits and map them at a scale which is out of kilter to the continent as a whole and it has made it hard to fit them back in.

Just to add, also the CWBP is not just a world as in world scale thing. Its supposed to map regions, cities, villages and buildings as well. There is no reason why we cant have a town where each person maps one house for it. Thats a lot like Forgotten Realms where Elminster lives. You can see each of the FR devs or play testers characters houses.

So by extension, yeah why not. A single castle where bits were mapped by different people. No problem with that. I think its easier to map one building by one person cos they have all the masks and textures all made up but nothing stopping it.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 12-23-2009 at 08:24 AM.

Guild Journeyer

This sounds like a fun idea. I would be willing to help with the slums as that is where my map making skills reside. I like the idea of a planning commisioner that parcels out land wierd bits of land for you to build on. Finish one turn it in an on you go. Some one would have to make the outline of a city but this sounds like a great idea.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like that tower idea, G-man. I may have to use that next time it's my turn for a challenge.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

This is a neat idea. All we need now is for someone to pick a city and zone it. There are a lot of cities to choose from... who's going to do it? I know crap about zoning, otherwise I'd have done it already and attached it to this post.

-IG

Blog Entries

If we used Port Magalie then would that be a problem ?

Sounds Good to me!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast