Thread: Grimroots Grove - Noob Guide - Created by Noobs For Noobs LOL

Post Grimroots Grove - Noob Guide - Created by Noobs For Noobs LOL

Well this is the SECOND time I have lost a post on this message forum in as many days! Can't a default "icon" for posts be chosen in the admin section so that when folks type in long messages and forget to choose an icon, they dont lose their entire post? *cry*

So where was I, ok Gromroots grove. It is a forest setting and I want to create a nice looking small scale map for it. I tried doing it all in Dundjinni but the problem is that the floor tiles in Dundjinni just dont work for me. They look too repetative.

So I used the Artpack stuff to create trees and forest life, but I want to import repeatable tiles for the road/path and also for the forest floor.

I tried importing the attached photo into Photoshop and deleting the white, then putting colors underneath but it turned out looking like death warmed over.

So what I would like to do is to use some tiles that I will attach here for the flooring, and one cool looking one for the path/road, and then using bump maps to give them a 3d feel.

So they question is what is a good method to do this? Is this a good noob question and format for a tutorial by a noob? (So I can highlight my experiences?)

--------

Late addition! I found this fantastic tutorial which could be used to create a grassy type of forest floor tile!
    http://www.oman3d.com/tutorials/phot...et_texture.php
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GrimrootsGrove.jpg 
Views:	685 
Size:	315.6 KB 
ID:	1823   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	foryondy%20grasslands4.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	1824   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	green.png 
Views:	153 
Size:	520.9 KB 
ID:	1825   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1792.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	1826  
    Last edited by Archmagician; 12-01-2007 at 02:11 AM.

First, when you hit the Back button in your browser doesn't it repopulate the post for you? There was a bug previously with this, but it was fixed and is currently working for me.

As for your question, you bet! Post away! However, before you do, did you see my reply in your previous thread where I mentioned a method you can use to do this? It might help make this a lot easier.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sorry about the lost posts...I'm working on a fix for that...I'm working on code mods to the mod itself that requires the post icon. Sorry
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    First, when you hit the Back button in your browser doesn't it repopulate the post for you? There was a bug previously with this, but it was fixed and is currently working for me.

As for your question, you bet! Post away! However, before you do, did you see my reply in your previous thread where I mentioned a method you can use to do this? It might help make this a lot easier.
    Nope I tried that. I am extremely computer saavy (Except in Photoshop) since I am a software engineer by trade. It was gone, gone, gone...oh no! Now I have that new song by Robert Plant in my head. LOL

Ah you mean using a PNG format? Yes I am going to try that right now and report back. Also, I am going to make a stab at creating a nice forest floor with the textures I found on this site and see how that experiement goes.

While perusing the site I came across this:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1024

After looking at this map, I truely know what it means to be NOT WORTHY!!! That map is INCREDIBLE!

If I could get my forested floor to look like that I would be..floored (PUN INTENDED!)
    Last edited by Archmagician; 12-01-2007 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Archmagician View Post
    Ah you mean using a PNG format? Yes I am going to try that right now and report back. Also, I am going to make a stab at creating a nice forest floor with the textures I found on this site and see how that experiement goes.
    I think either PNG'ing it, deleting the white (or deleting & then overlaying/multiplying copies), or recreating it within PS are your only feasible options. I tried a few other ideas using your map, and none turned out clean and clear. IMO, I'd just recreate using PS; the rest seem to me a lot of runaround--but if you're not yet comfortable in PS & are thinking of using it to just touch-up/enhance, this may also be a poor suggestions.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Learning how to use PS is never a waste of time...
    I totally agree there! I love photoshop, I am just not great with it. I am much better than I used to be but there are still a lot of things for me to learn.

I am good with selection, good with layers, simple stuff like that.