Thread: Writing Issues of the Modern Writer

Default Writing Issues of the Modern Writer

Hello all, I am a writer who for a long time has been both distracted by work and life to actually get any writing done. Do any of you have any idea of a guild, much like this one, for writers or should I post here with some issues I am having?

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

I happen to be a novelist as well as an illustrator/cartographer...as yet unpublished, but working on it...

I know there are lots of writerly communities online, but I don't know of any specific ones as focused as this group is on fantasy maps. I could tell you the podcasts on writing advice that I listen to...

Can't say I speak for anyone but myself, but I can't imagine posting here with your issues would be frowned upon.
    As far as other guilds or forums dedicated to writers, I know of none, but that's not to say that none exist. I feel like more than a few people on this site are into writing as well as map making, so I'd be surprised if there aren't at least a good handful of people who can offer insight, ideas, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by xpian View Post
    I happen to be a novelist as well as an illustrator/cartographer...as yet unpublished, but working on it...

I know there are lots of writerly communities online, but I don't know of any specific ones as focused as this group is on fantasy maps. I could tell you the podcasts on writing advice that I listen to...
    I would love to hear the podcast. I have a basic outline, as well as I have begun working on a "bible" for how my world works. This idea is much less complex from my former Amesyus idea (For which I have saved and hopefully will return to), as for my flags, those are for a new world I have begun working on since I joined here called "Sayor" which is for a book I wish to call "Scarlet Waters" Series, taking place in a fantasy world's Golden Age of Piracy.

One issue I am really having is "How to start the story" and how to create characters. Also, I have a good image of my main character as I will be dressing up as him for a comic convention coming soon. His name is "Jonathan Edward Lowe" otherwise known in the series as "Black John Lowe".

Quote Originally Posted by HailAmesyus View Post
    Hello all, I am a writer who for a long time has been both distracted by work and life to actually get any writing done. Do any of you have any idea of a guild, much like this one, for writers or should I post here with some issues I am having?
    I know two places that could help you :

The Campaign Builders' Guild
    National Novel Writing Month

I am also a writer, with two novels complete and about ten more planned, with chunks of all ten written here and there. I am not an illustrator, and would kill to be able to draw. (My sister got the artistic genes in our family!)

National Novel Writing Month can be fun, although it helps to have your research completed before November 1. I've done it now for four years, and it can be exhilerating to write at least 2000 words daily. No time to go back and edit, no listening to that inner editor who says, "This is a piece of trash!" and no excuses for not writing.

I have a private wiki at PBWorks for all the research I've assembled so it is available to me and my co-author.