Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: September Entry: Tir na Mor Rioghna

Wip September Entry: Tir na Mor Rioghna

First post to a challenge, still very WIP and flavorless. Mostly made in photoshop with the mountain brush presets I found on this site plus generous tweaking, and I ran the poster edges filter over it.

Any suggestions?

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SeptemberMapx1 poster copy.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	514.4 KB 
ID:	6403
    Last edited by nemojbatkastle; 09-08-2008 at 06:47 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

outstanding. I love the cartoony feel of the map... what filters are you using mainly?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Wow, poster edges really makes that outstanding, good job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wip

Much thanks guys.

The filters are all standard option stuff, poster edges and lots of fiddling with contours. I got the swamps the way I did through an overly complicated process and everything got applied a liberal spattering of different colors.

There is still so much I need to do for this. A question: am I doing something wrong that my map isn't showing up in the thumbnail gallery?

No you're fine... sometimes the script hangs when we have a lot of entries... or something technical like that ... redrobes will come by sooner or later and fix it up for you...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nemojbatkastle View Post
    A question: am I doing something wrong that my map isn't showing up in the thumbnail gallery?
    No its fine, its just when I get around to running the script which was this morning so its in there now. Outstanding map btw ! I was looking at all the thumbs and thinking that at least at thumb scale your stands out as being the nicest looking. Awaiting more tweaks !!! Oh I also rep anyone who joins and goes right in with a challenge entry. Thats the spirit.

Out of curiosity, what Mountain brush preset did you use?

The mountain brushes I used are posted somewhere on this site, going along with a very sexy layer style that comes as part of the pack. I recall I changed the color of the mountains to match the landscape, and then put another layer on top with the mountains again in white. If that makes sense. Here are two pics along the way to show how it's going.

The symbols are bugging me. Does anyone know of any shapes, brushes, or clip art that had towns, castles, or other medieval objects of note. What I am specifically looking for is icons for standing stone. You know, Dolmens, Cromlechs, that sort of thing. Hell, I would even settle for a Cruach.

Here the nice India Ink map, which is sort of a diversion.

And that settles it that I will NOT be putting the India Ink filter on the final product. Here it is the ever-popular sun faded filter run over everything.

If anyone is curious the flag is the standard of Tir no Mor Rioghna, and the three shields are the symbols of the three major clans that make up the country. I'm going to write in little capsule entries for each of them soon.

sweet....
    and ya, i'd stay away from the india ink filter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast