Thread: Osprey style map?

Question Osprey style map?

HI there and welcome to the guild. You can make maps like this by using a 3d programme like Bryce (there is a free version). If you want real world height maps these are available. For a good explanation of it all, go to Tom Patterson's shaded relief website (google will find it for you) and have a poke around there.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    HI there and welcome to the guild. You can make maps like this by using a 3d programme like Bryce (there is a free version). If you want real world height maps these are available. For a good explanation of it all, go to Tom Patterson's shaded relief website (google will find it for you) and have a poke around there.

Thanks your help ... then how can i convert contours line to 3d? Bryce is enough?
    Constantinople Map

Blog Entries

Hi Lafamosa. You can follow my mini tut for doing contour lines to height map raster here:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/ma...tml#post191015

And then once you have a height map you can download my free app for displaying them like the image shown. You need to save your height map in a greyscale going from black is lowest point to white is highest and call it Height.bmp Then put it in the same dir as the exe and run the exe.

ViewingDale - getting browser details...

Hope that helps.

Thank you for your help but i cant open the link
    Hi lafamosa!

Just a reminder you will not have access to the Private Message system until you have made 5 posts in the forums. This (unfortunately) had to be done because of spammers....Sorry for any inconvenience

Blog Entries

Which link, top or bottom ?

Blog Entries

Ok never mind - Top link

I think the best way to get a height map to match that is to do it with contours. I have found that the easiest way to do contours is as follows.

Take the map that Waldronate has provided for the land sea as a starting point. Rub out the rivers at this stage so that the starting point is just sea black and land white and no rivers at all. Using this base map, draw black lines on a white background in loops where your high spots are and then keep doing that until you have all of the contours drawn in. Personally I find this easiest with a real pen. A pen tablet is also good but a mouse makes it a chore. Use a scanner or a digital camera to get the real drawing back into the PC.

Then using the contrast tool, whack it up to max so that its just black and white and no shades of gray.

Next, starting with the sea black, use the flood fill tool with black and skip one contour band from the sea and flood the next one in. Do that repeatedly all the way up to the highest contour making a zebra stripes set of contours.

Then you can use the smooth, blur or gaussian blur tool on it a little just to round off any sharp spikes or one pixel holes from the flood fill. Then whack the contrast up to max again and get it to just black and white only. No shades of gray.

Then count how many zebra stripes it takes to get from sea to highest point in the map. Divide your height range by this amount. For most people they would set the sea at RGB 0,0,0 but in your case it could be 94,94,94 so either count (255 - 0) / levels or (255 - 94) / levels. Lets say you had 10 contour bands then it would be (255 - 94) / 10 so use steps of 16 in shades.

Now whist setting the flood fill tool to match with exact color, flood the black sea with 94, the next white one with 94+16 = 110, the next with 126 etc all the way up till you get the highest one at near to 255.

Save a copy of that away for safe keeping. Then use the gaussian blur tool to blur the bands down so that one merges into another a lot. The more contour bands you used the easier this is. So using more contour bands is good.

When thats done you have a height map. Now take the original land sea only mask and multiply that image with the height map and drop the sea to black. Then flood fill it back to 94. This will make the coast line exactly in the shape of the original. Then take the one with the rivers in it and white out the sea leaving only rivers. Ensure that where rivers meet the sea you knock out the sea exactly where the sea was in the land sea mask. Then take the rivers only map and subtract a bit of that from the height map.

Finally, take the rivers map and white out all of the rivers leaving just the lakes only part of that rivers and lakes map and multiply that map with the height map to drop the lakes to black. Then using the flood tool, find the pixel on the height map near to the exit flow of the rivers and grab its RGB color and flood the now black lake with that color. Do that for each lake in turn.

Finally, use a very slight blur just to sort out any aliasing issues and your done.
    Bottom Link - attached. If this post is old there may be a newer version of the app on the site from the original link.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 10-18-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lafamosa View Post
    Thanks your help ... then how can i convert contours line to 3d? Bryce is enough?
    Constantinople Map
    There isn't any reliable and easy way to extract a DEM from a contour map. You do better to find a proper DEM to start with.

Hi friend i found a beatiful plug-in for 3ds max check it out!!!
    Terrain « MegaFiers