Thread: My first work

Wip My first work

Here is my first attempt to create a world/continental map using GIMP.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first-attempt.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	487.4 KB 
ID:	31897

I followed this tutorial and found it pretty clear. I didn't finished it yet (and I think I made a mess with bump mapping when I added relieves, since the whole continental part is bumped up! ^_^')
    Despite the work is highly in progress I already have some doubt about the procedure. I think this method has some flaws that prevent to achieve good results. I'll post my consideration after diving in much more tutorials. I'm sure all issues I've found have already been addressed thousands of time, so don't take me much seriously. I still have to learn a lot and I'm writing here just to clear my mind. In the meantime, every feedback is welcomed!

Many thanks to all!

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It looks pretty good I like the mountains. It seems a little dark though. Does the blue glow represent shallow water? if so you might want to lower the opacity it's pretty bright. All in all good work I look forward to seeing this progress.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Yes, colors have to be adjusted as a whole. The blue glow should represent the shallow waters and reef lines, but there are some errors in it, since it's wider around the borders. I don't even like landmass colours distribution. They are too "linear", I should study a lot more to achieve good results on them.
    Anycase I think I'll start over with another one. Could I go on using this topic for all my first-timer experiments, so that I won't stuff the board with stupid tests?

PS: thanks for the rep! ^_^'

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StickGrinder View Post
    Yes, colors have to be adjusted as a whole. The blue glow should represent the shallow waters and reef lines, but there are some errors in it, since it's wider around the borders. I don't even like landmass colours distribution. They are too "linear", I should study a lot more to achieve good results on them.
    Anycase I think I'll start over with another one. Could I go on using this topic for all my first-timer experiments, so that I won't stuff the board with stupid tests?

PS: thanks for the rep! ^_^'
    Your welcome and yes you can use this topic for your first posts. I wouldn't give up just yet on this one though it just needs a little tweaking. That's how I learn I do something think I like it and then go back and do something else and end up liking that even better.. Keep up the good work
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

To reduce the linear quality of the color gradient make a new layer, use the color picker to pick colors, and lightly airbrush on the new layer to push your deserts around or your darker greens around...that's what I do. I also use a lot more colors, like reds, and oranges, and browns, to get different effects but the early stages look rather plain...they're supposed to. You start with something simple and build on it. I'll say this, though, your map looks like it should for just getting something basic down - my maps all look like this early on. Not sure what to do about the mountains because I don't know Gimp. When Bryguy wrote this Gimp conversion of my PS tut I'm pretty sure that he used RobA's "better mountains" technique and that's pretty much the best there is for Gimp. That doesn't mean that it's perfect, though, so you certainly have a lot of leeway to tweak it if you want.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps