Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Animated Gimp brushes

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Post Animated Gimp brushes

There have been a few posts recently about creating animated brushes in Gimp. I thought it would be handy to have them all in one thread. If people could post an example of what the brush does and then the brush itself that would be great!

I'll start with a small conifer brush that I created a while ago. Here's an example:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example.jpg 
Views:	1177 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	4705

and here's the brush:
    trees.zip

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    There have been a few posts recently about creating animated brushes in Gimp. I thought it would be handy to have them all in one thread. If people could post an example of what the brush does and then the brush itself that would be great!

I'll start with a small conifer brush that I created a while ago. Here's an example:

Name:	example.jpg 
Views:	1177 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	4705

and here's the brush:
    trees.zip

Cool..

Ok, just to make sure I am 100% sure of what you were saying on the other thread. If I start a new image and instead of using standard RBG as the colors I us grayscale, then the image will utilize the current brush color when I create my image pipe/hose thingy...

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yes, it needs to be greyscale, and it can't have transparency in the images (it converts white to transparency in the final version). This is from memory from when I played with this last October so don't take it as gospel

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Cool..

Ok, just to make sure I am 100% sure of what you were saying on the other thread. If I start a new image and instead of using standard RBG as the colors I us grayscale, then the image will utilize the current brush color when I create my image pipe/hose thingy...

Joe
    Yes - White will be 100% transparent, black will be 100% opaque, and greys will be translucent. The brush will paint using the brush colour.

-Rob A>

And on another note, these work great with a random density script (for gimp, of course) I am polishing off...

Here is a density map I painted (this one is inverted, black is highest, white is lowest):

Name:	density_map.png 
Views:	553 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	4708

And here is how it paints in your lovely trees:

Name:	density_trees.png 
Views:	1847 
Size:	166.6 KB 
ID:	4709

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Ans on another note, these work great with a random density script (for gimp, of course) I am polishing off...

Here is a density map I painted (this one is inverted, black is highest, white is lowest):

Name:	density_map.png 
Views:	553 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	4708

And here is how it paints in your lovely trees:

Name:	density_trees.png 
Views:	1847 
Size:	166.6 KB 
ID:	4709

-Rob A>

I want it NOW!!!!! I can't wait.... Rep added... now if I can just rep 10 other people between now and the time you actually post the script.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

That script will definitely come in handy. Looking forward to it.

Look's interesting this kind of work!

Ok I have a question, how to make an animated brush. I have followed a tuto, but it still does not want to work. I have created a file with some layers, each one containing a mountain, and when I draw with this brush, I have only one of them. How can I do?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I had the same problem when I tried this a few months back. The tutorial is very good at explaining things but it messes one step up. The part where you start putting the numbers of cells n such into the thing is wrong. I don't quite remember exactly what fixes it but I do remember that instead of changing the number in the top box it was the second box that needed changing. So try messing around with those boxes.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Morshwan - what program are you using? I can help with Gimp, but photoshop will require someone else to chip in. If you can link to the tute in question then that wil help us pin down the issue as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast