Thread: Greetings!

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Phae O' Brien's Avatar

Post Greetings!

"Let's start from the very beginning, a very good place to start..."

Yes, I know it sounds lame quoting "Sound of Music", but what can I say, I'm a girl, I'm sometimes tempted in doing lame stuff just to check on other people's reaction!

My name is Phae, I live in Greece (not for long though!) and I found this forum by accident as I was looking into map tutorials on Youtube (thank you RPG Maker!). I decided to join because for the last year in and out I have been trying to learn how to make my own maps in order to illustrate my world. I've tried CC3 but I realised it's not my cup of tea (the graphics seemed a bit too childish for my personal taste) and moved on to Photoshop, where I have managed to draw an outline of my atlas.

I'm hoping of learning quite a few things in here (I already have my hands in a couple of tutorials I found!) and grow up to become a better fantasy digital cartographer than what I am now (hopefully my studies on geology and stereography will help me on this! ).

Onward to the maps!

Welcome (from another newcomer)! Geology and stereography? Sounds like an intriguing combination.

It is quite intriguing, but combine that to a slight case of OCD and you will find out I'm a weird case of g(r)eek perfectionist! I study maps for hours before I decide where it would make sense for mountain ranges to be, where would a delta be located, how a glacier would mold the land around it...

Creating maps is a huge challenge for me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phae O' Brien View Post
    It is quite intriguing, but combine that to a slight case of OCD and you will find out I'm a weird case of g(r)eek perfectionist! I study maps for hours before I decide where it would make sense for mountain ranges to be, where would a delta be located, how a glacier would mold the land around it...
    I suspect that around here that counts as perfectly normal behaviour...

Welcome to the Guild Phae! You've come to the right place, there are many other writers here who came here looking to create maps for their campaigns as well. I look forward to seeing more of you in the days to come.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I think that the Sound of Music really ought to be quoted more often. *Walks away humming*

Welcome to the Guild

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    I think that the Sound of Music really ought to be quoted more often. *Walks away humming*

Welcome to the Guild
    Thumbs up to you sir, for I believe the same thing!

You will be seeing me quite a lot to be honest, Mr Arsheesh. My first map is already half way to its completion!
    “Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot.”Neil Gaiman

Welcome, Phae. I look forward to your work. I'm drawn by your approach in cartography and cultural references. Are you willing to post works in progress, or do you plan to share only finished work?

To be completely honest, I haven't thought about it and now my first complete physical atlas is uploaded already. I guess I could post some of its WIPs or start doing that with my next project.

If you would like to see my first attempt in mapping, this here is the thread I've opened. Atlas of Terra Antigua
    “Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot.”Neil Gaiman

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Guild and a very nice start
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.