Thread: The World of Tanyth Fairport

Guild Novice

Wip The World of Tanyth Fairport

My fantasy series started as a challenge in 2009. One of my colleagues challenged me to "win" NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) in two weeks. That means "write at least 50,000 words in 14 days. Since I accepted that challenge, a fan challenged me to write fantasy (I usually write science fiction) and another challenged me to write this all with a female main characters.

Oye.

I threw together some working maps for the first book but discovered I needed a better picture when a sea voyage that lasts 21 days in the story spans a distance of about 50 miles on my rough maps. Boats are slow but I can swim faster than that. So ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Korlay99a.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	1,005.7 KB 
ID:	40003

The base is done according to the Atlas Map Style tutorial. It took me four tries but I finally came up with a map I like. I haven't added any of the labels yet, but this is getting close to what I want.

Guild Apprentice

Nice map, if I may be so bold as you propose a minor critique, the land stroke is quite prominent, maybe lowering the opacity might work? Of course, that's a preferential thing really.

NaNoWriMo is hard enough in 4 weeks, let alone 2! You're crazy (but the good kind)!

Good work with the map!

NaNoWriMo rules I like your map too. It looks like a monster to me hahaha. the bottom parts are the legs and the top is its head trying to eat an egg shaped thing. I'm weird, I know

I think what furiousik is referring to (correct my if I am wrong!) is maybe the borders around your countries. The reddish brown border for the largest section, the color is too more like land and it seems weird a bit. Otherwise, I really like it. I'd love to hear about your NaNo and maybe read it
    ~May

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

wow this is a great map

Guild Novice

So, after a couple of days practice and some modifications to the basic Atlas technique...

Name:	korlay88.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	40047

The only serious change was the use of plasma clouds instead of noise clouds for the base.

It's still a bit cartoony, but it'll serve as a foundation for the books for now.

I need to make an "antique-y" looking one next

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by nlowell View Post

The only serious change was the use of plasma clouds instead of noise clouds for the base.
    Interesting idea. I never tried using the plasma clouds. Was it for the land and the sea both? Or just one or the other?

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by TregMallin View Post
    Interesting idea. I never tried using the plasma clouds. Was it for the land and the sea both? Or just one or the other?
    It serves as the basis for land and sea.

render > clouds > plasma (random, turbulence 5ish)
    desaturate
    normalize

Then just picked up the Atlas technique from there. It gave ma a lot more ragged looking coastline.

I used the difference clouds for the mountains and hills.

Guild Novice

I wasn't happy with the continents on the last one.

Name:	korlay80_labeled.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	958.4 KB 
ID:	40059

I've posted this version on my readers' blog and suggested that the fans should suggest names for oceans and continents.