View Poll Results: Create a village for the CWBP one house at a time?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I've got my hammer, let's build something!

18 90.00%
  • Nah, give me a real challenge!

2 10.00%

Thread: Build a Village challenge

Post Build a Village challenge

Probably a Lite Challenge suggestion, but it could go either way. Similar to the March Map Challenge, but rather than build varying locations in the CWBP, it is intended to design one village. In the challenge rules a predetermined set of buildings will be available for selection by one mapper per building. The list should be long enough that there would be more than the number of probable participants. Thus each participant selects the building he wants to create, and that one is scratched off the list. In the end an entire village is created ready to place in the CWBP from all participants completed challenge maps.

Probable locations might include: chapel, tavern/inn, trading post or mercantiler, a black smith, a horse trader and corral, typical farmhouse, a wealthy merchants house, a village hall, a jail, etc.
    Maybe pick an elven or Beastland village for some extra flavor.

I thought this might be a fun way to build a complete village by Lite Challenge members, yet excellently suited for the CWBP.

Thoughts?

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 04-16-2009 at 02:47 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Fun idea, but wouldn't the village look messy because of all the different styles used?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Fun idea, but wouldn't the village look messy because of all the different styles used?
    No messier than the overland map with all its varied styles. Same idea, just a smaller scale. I like it GP.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Good idea, me likey but me sucky at this scale.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Once a specific location in the CWBP is selected for the village.

The rules ought to specify: create interior maps only, if you do create any outbuildings, fences, walls, courtyards and what not, do not place a ground texture, as the maps will be composited into the final village out of all the challenge maps at end of challenge with a consistent ground plan. This way it won't look so patchy.

If the village was formed by refugees from the Plaguelands for instance, having a variety of styles might make sense, since the village doesn't consist of one type of local, rather a mixture from across Ansium.

GP

PS: it might also help consistency, if a limit on the kinds of building materials is listed in the rules, thus you won't have a marble home, next to a coral home, or sandstone or what that. Limit the available stone, wood or other building materials and things will look more like they belong together.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 04-16-2009 at 07:17 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Post Bump...

I'm bumping this, as the one on top (integrated thumbs) has no poll, and this one deserves some more attention.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 04-19-2009 at 07:33 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    If the village was formed by refugees from the Plaguelands for instance, having a variety of styles might make sense, since the village doesn't consist of one type of local, rather a mixture from across Ansium.
    Could I suggest one of the settlements in the Lesser Groam area of Akron (Map 11). The settlements are refugee villages.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games