Thread: World Map

Wip World Map

I finally was able to work through the map for my D&D 4e campaign. The world has no name, no nations or cultures yet, it's pretty much a blank slate...but I really like the results so far. There's a large central ocean, ringed completely by land - I haven't decided exactly what happened, but a large planetary collision springs to mind. The eastern hemisphere is dominated by an extremely large landmass. I've done some reading on climate, weather, etc. and it seems to me that this combination of the central ocean and the large landmass means in the winter time, the ocean will spawn really nasty storms and the large continent will have a very strong monsoonal flow (similar to Asia).

I used Fractal Terrains Pro for this, following Joe Slayton's great tips and using the Terraformer Addon. I really like the results so far. Next, I'm going to pick a region to start detailing for the actual game and either buy CC3 or use Dundjinni to start filling in. More stylistic maps are likely to come out of that effort.

Anyway, without much further ado, here's "The World"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	291.2 KB 
ID:	6378   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world_eastern_hemi.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	923.8 KB 
ID:	6379   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world_western_hemi.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	846.9 KB 
ID:	6380  

The pictures look beautiful Wil. You are off to a great start. I'm curious to see how your world develops.

One minor quibble, and it just may be the shading that Fractal Terrains generates, but does your world have polar ice caps and deserts?--I cannot discern any on the map, but I may not be reading the coloration correctly. Also, a scale would be appreciated and later, after you've fleshed it out a bit, a political map.

Good luck and good mapping.

Guild Journeyer

Nice job with FT!

Quote Originally Posted by thebax2k View Post
    The pictures look beautiful Wil. You are off to a great start. I'm curious to see how your world develops.

One minor quibble, and it just may be the shading that Fractal Terrains generates, but does your world have polar ice caps and deserts?--I cannot discern any on the map, but I may not be reading the coloration correctly. Also, a scale would be appreciated and later, after you've fleshed it out a bit, a political map.

Good luck and good mapping.
    There are deserts, but it's hard to tell. FT Pro does not place deserts. The Terraformer addon also doesn't seem to do icecaps. I came to the realization after I did the hemisphere maps that I had rotated the globe in FT so that 0 longitude was not at the center of the screen...because of that, my notes on the climate were off. Basically it means I would need to re-place some elements such as deserts given to compensate for it. Once I rework the maps I'll be sure to repost, along with the details about the settings I used, scale, etc.

Post Terraformer Author

Hi Wil,
    This is Bill R. - I created the Terraformer Package.
    Right now - the only way to do ice caps in FT PRO that I've been able to discover (after lots of experimenting) - is to draw lands masses using FT PRO's painting tools - at the pole positions of the map that your making.
    The current versions of FT PRO cannot "freeze" the ocean zones if you lower the temp over the oceans using the climate painting options.

Terraformer has color shadings on each "TIC" image file for artic zones covered by ice and snow.

The Terraformer shading system effectively replaces the default "Gaia" view within FT PRO - and expands FT PRO's asthetic capabilities by huge leaps and bounds (that's Terraformer's core purpose for being).

One good suggestion for any future versions of FT PRO might be a "Create Polar Zone" button that places ice caps over whichever pole that you want. Since our own planet Earth has from time to time in it's geological history had only one ice cap (typically over the South pole), then you would have the option of having one or two ice caps - depending upon your modelled worlds intended (designed) climatology.

P.S.: In Terraformer 0.50 (next version) - I'll be refining the cloud maps a little to get rid of any minor imperfections.
    Last edited by PlanetDesigner; 11-25-2008 at 03:23 AM.
    "A good heart is better than all the heads in the world." Author Edward Lytton