2 28.57%
  • Smudge water

2 28.57%
  • Nonsmudge water

4 57.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: I need opinions!

Map I need opinions!

I first have to say scanning some thing far bigger than the scanner can scan in one shot so you have to scan sections then piece them together (as a newbie) is a pain in the %^&. It didnt scan that well either. This post is for opinions on two things. 1 Does the pencil by the water on the east side of the map look better or does the pen on the north side look better? 2 Does the water on the east side (that is used with a smudge stick) look better or does the water on the north side (without the smudging) look better. First image is the hand drawn map the second image was made through the "not so random coastlines" tutorial used as a reference to help me make my coast lines look nicer. Again sorry for the poor scan and thanks for every ones time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	440.8 KB 
ID:	11132   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small islandcolor.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	11133  
    Last edited by link6033; 03-09-2009 at 05:29 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

For purely technical reasons the pen is better as it scans better, clearer. For artistic purposes the pencil is mightier than the pen...to borrow a phrase. It depends on what you're shooting for, though...if you're wanting to keep the hand-drawn look then go pencil, if you're looking to do a lot of post work on the computer then use the pen. In terms of aesthetics, the water on the north seems to blend better while that on the east seems to be more like rings. Try using some colored chalk then rub it/blend it with your fingers for a smoother transition or get some really soft lead colored pencils. I haven't used smudge sticks so maybe they can be blended in a similar way.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I'll echo Ascension here. Had a lot of experience with scanning images in, and pen definitely works WAY better then pencil. Also, never played with smudgeing too much beyond simple pencil smudging.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by link6033 View Post
    I first have to say scanning some thing far bigger than the scanner can scan in one shot so you have to scan sections then piece them together (as a newbie) is a pain in the %^&.
    I use Hugin for stitching. It works fine for scanned images......Here is the tutorial.

-Rob A>

Wow, 3 responses and 17 total awards!

I'll just agree to lower the average award quotient .

Sigurd

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

I first have to say scanning some thing far bigger than the scanner can scan in one shot so you have to scan sections then piece them together (as a newbie) is a pain in the %^&. It didnt scan that well either. This post is for opinions on two things. 1 Does the pencil by the water on the east side of the map look better or does the pen on the north side look better? 2 Does the water on the east side (that is used with a smudge stick) look better or does the water on the north side (without the smudging) look better. First image is the hand drawn map the second image was made through the "not so random coastlines" tutorial used as a reference to help me make my coast lines look nicer. Again sorry for the poor scan and thanks for every ones time.
    I said Pen (same reasons as above), but I really thought the eastern seas with the smudge looked very superior - to me the colors flowed better and were less colored-pencilly-looking.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I use Hugin for stitching. It works fine for scanned images......Here is the tutorial.

-Rob A>

Awesome link, RobA. I'd never heard of Hugin previously... looks very cool!
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Thanks Rob for the link. That tutorial looks like a good way of piecing them together. It took time but putting them together in gimp wasnt the hard part is was getting a ok scan. If you see my pics some of them have this bad shadow effect in some areas. The paper doesnt sit flush with the scanning bed (being that its way over the size of the scanner) thus making shadows?? This is some thing I would like to fix if any thing so I could give a try at a contest here.

Thanks Rob for the link. That tutorial looks like a good way of piecing them together. It took time but putting them together in gimp wasnt the hard part is was getting a ok scan. If you see my pics some of them have this bad shadow effect in some areas. The paper doesnt sit flush with the scanning bed (being that its way over the size of the scanner) thus making shadows?? This is some thing I would like to fix if any thing so I could give a try at a contest here.
    I had that problem too, and my scanner was an old parallel port dog, so I built a PVC copy stand following this set of instructions.

It has come in very handy, as I just use my camera now, and hugin corrects the barrel distortion. (It is also great for macro photography or photos for items to sell on e-bay... like coins.)

-Rob A>

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Wow, 3 responses and 17 total awards!

I'll just agree to lower the average award quotient .

Sigurd
    yes 3 responses and 17 awards,

But also over 6 THOUSAND posts
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'd go with the Pen and slightly smudged water.

As for scanners - don't own one (yet) - maybe if I ever get caught up on my bills
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.