Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watermarks

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected zhar2's Avatar

Post Watermarks

Well i personally hate using watermarks as its a sign of distrust, but i just wanted to know whats the policy on posting work with watermarks?

Ive used them for certain stuff, specially when i had work taken or used without permission (eg: some logos & graphics), its not like if i was expecting money becouse i dont and i even give out work for stuff like planet textures and so on when just asked.

So i just wanted to know if it would be acceptable to do it with final pieces here, or would it just be offensive (please dont hate me for asking).

It's rarely used on these forums, but I think you have the right to protect your stuff. I wouldn't mind... I don't think there's any official rules.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Blog Entries

I haven't seen any rule about them and I think everyone is entitled to do what they like with their own work. Just a few pointers tho. a) if your map is based off of another with creative commons then its possible that its not allowed from the licensing point of view so maps for the CWBP should be free to use. and b) If you watermark it then I would watermark all the maps in the set and do it using a slightly different watermark as a straight up feint light text across it like some of them are easy to remove - the more so with the more amount of images using the same mark.

I stick a little copyright line on the stuff I print.

But I figure if somebody's going to steal my work, a copyright or watermark or whatever will not be of much use unless I know the stuff's been stolen and it's worth fighting for legally. And if it becomes a legal fight, I don't think a copyright line or watermark is gonna help much anyway.

But it doesn't hurt, does it. Unless it's one of those ugly "antitheft" things that obscures the imagery.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Using watermarks is a pure personal choice thing. There are no rules and I doubt that anyone would think less of you if you did.
    You know, that's good to hear.

My "plan" (i.e. vague hope for the future) is to use the maps I am working on for a novel/series I've been working on (knowing full well my chances of publication are slim). As a writer, then, I'm plagued with all sorts of irrational fears. I knew that too much watermarking was kind of a sign of paranoia... but if it's a small thing, I thought, maybe others wouldn't mind it too much, and it would address some of those irrational, authorial fears and keep them under control...

Albeit, my lack of any maps in however long it's been aren't a result of my own watermark/no watermark dilemma: that's attributable to the glacial pace at which I've been working - a different dilemma altogether!
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

@Karro.
    There's invisible watermarks you can use in digital files.
    They don't obscure your art ... and so they don't look paranoid at all ... because they're invisible!

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by töff View Post
    @Karro.
    There's invisible watermarks you can use in digital files.
    They don't obscure your art ... and so they don't look paranoid at all ... because they're invisible!
    ORLY?

You wouldn't know, I suppose, how to do that in, say, GIMP?
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

No ... only used GIMP once or twice ... there's a Digimarc plugin for Photoshop but they don't seem to have a GIMP version. It might be worth some googling on your part, though.

There are JPG tags, or text in alphachannels ... various manual methods like that.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If there's ever a legal battle I'll just roll out my original psd file and case closed.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast