Thread: Maps for "An Icy Grave"

Post Maps for "An Icy Grave"

I made these from the adventure "An Icy Grave" over at RPGarchive.

(Don't know if this scale is desired here, just let me know...

These were made in Dungeonforge, with the exception of the thick walls on the ground floor, which were pre-drawn in the GIMP and inserted as an object in Dungeonforge.

These are all at 50%.

Ground Floor:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50percent_mon_ground_full.jpg 
Views:	2888 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	13945

Upstairs:

Name:	50percent_mon_1st_floor_full.jpg 
Views:	1376 
Size:	375.9 KB 
ID:	13946

Basement:

Name:	50percent_basement.jpg 
Views:	1328 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	13947

P.S. Any reason I can't add attachments?
    Last edited by RobA; 06-05-2009 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Changed to attached images

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Attachment problem is solved I believe. Give it a shot.

Maps look very nice...especially considering the tool is free? I may have to investigate further for sure. I like the footprints and the trees mostly...

My biggest complaint is that the shadows don't seem to be very consistent.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Thanks.

The art used is mostly from the Dundjinni user forums, except any I made myself (the stone walls, some of the statues), and the shadows more or less follow the Dundjinni standard. The biggest issue is that the shadows are a part of the artwork, rather generated by the program.

-Rob A>

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Shadow consistency can always be a problem...especially when you've got the trees casting shadows straight down whereas the walls cast a shadow to one side...but the steps cast no shadow...I feel your pain.

I do like the drop shadow sheet effect in CC3, and its very useful if utilized responsibly.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

These are some nice looking maps. While the "hand drawn" does hold a special place in my heart (especially when it comes to larger-scale continent mapping), I really enjoy these beautifully textured, eye-candy style maps most of all, especially for this (battle-map) scale. I sent some rep your way!

Yeah these are good. I was thinking the same thing as Arcana regarding the shadows but then when I read what you said about the tool having them built in that explained it. The only other thing I was thinking about was if you could bring it into Gimp again and use the dodge/burn tool to add a little more 3d effect on items like the coal piles it might give some better depth. The stacked barrels and chests look a little flat. Bottom line though it works just fine as it is and anyone playing on it would probably not even look at this stuff because they would be on edge because the place seems abandoned and dangerous.

I may have to check out this tool as well because who isn't a free-gan?
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    I may have to check out this tool as well because who isn't a free-gan?
    Jaxilon - Dundjinni isn't free, but there is oodles of great artwork in the user forums that is free to use.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Jaxilon - Dundjinni isn't free, but there is oodles of great artwork in the user forums that is free to use.
    Some of the objects came from the dundjinni forums, but the maps were created using dungeonforge.

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Some of the objects came from the dundjinni forums, but the maps were created using dungeonforge.
    Ahh my bad, must've misread something somewhere.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.