Thread: Spherical display for planetary data

Guild Applicant

Default Spherical display for planetary data

This isn't really cartography, but I thought people here might be interested in it. I built a spherical display using mostly off the shelf components.

I currently have it set up to transform any planetary images or video that are in an equirectangular projection to map to the surface of the sphere.

There is a writeup with more information on my blog.

This is just.... fantabulous.

"Isn't really cartography", phooey. It is a map, and you made it. Case closed. And repped.

Blog Entries

Very cool. Friend of mine made a star projector out of one of those security mirrors you get in a shop. So just wondering what kind of optics / mirrors you used to illuminate all of the globe. Also, whats the globe made out of. Did you machine up the sphere or can you buy something like a spherical light shade with properties that allow you to see the projection. Will read the more info post on your blog to see what you did now. Like it a lot

Edit: Cool - read that now, very good stuff. I would check out Celestia the app as a) I believe it has some projection options in there, b) Its made for doing this type of thing and c) Theres a whole heap of stuff to project with it. The usual way to calibrate this sort of thing is merely to project the map onto a 3D model and project the model. Then on the model you put some calibrations points down in the texture and look at where they end up on the globe. Then after a process of iteration, you can adjust the 3D model in order to make the cal points sit on the places you want them in the real model. Then when you project the map onto the model it should transform it into the real world to fit. Your model looks like its a pretty close fit already tho. Post back with updates tho wont ya. Kinda interested to know how your going to do the touch feeedback input from it. You gonna use a web cam and decode the hand positions or use the Kinect ? I know that Microsofts projected table used some infrared LEDs pushing light into the perspex top and then where your fingers touched it you get IR spots which a camera picked up and then you can decode that into movements.

Also, there was a post on this guild a few weeks back about some huge globe at some LED screen manufacturer where they covered a ball in hundreds of little LED screens and made it animate. At the time I thought a projector was a more sensible option. Well it would have been for anyone who doesn't happen to make LED screens I guess.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 09-13-2011 at 07:38 AM.

Guild Applicant

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Edit: Cool - read that now, very good stuff. I would check out Celestia the app as a) I believe it has some projection options in there, b) Its made for doing this type of thing and c) Theres a whole heap of stuff to project with it. The usual way to calibrate this sort of thing is merely to project the map onto a 3D model and project the model. Then on the model you put some calibrations points down in the texture and look at where they end up on the globe. Then after a process of iteration, you can adjust the 3D model in order to make the cal points sit on the places you want them in the real model. Then when you project the map onto the model it should transform it into the real world to fit. Your model looks like its a pretty close fit already tho. Post back with updates tho wont ya. Kinda interested to know how your going to do the touch feeedback input from it. You gonna use a web cam and decode the hand positions or use the Kinect ? I know that Microsofts projected table used some infrared LEDs pushing light into the perspex top and then where your fingers touched it you get IR spots which a camera picked up and then you can decode that into movements.
    Celestia looks perfect for this. I had looked at Stellarium once before, but it seems like Celestia may be able to do the projection I need out of the box.

I'm still looking at how to do touch input, but IR LEDs is probably what I'll end up trying. I have a PS3 Eye modified for IR use already, though it doesn't have a fisheye lens. If I can't work out a good way to do it, I'll probably just interface a SpaceNavigator to it.

Random question, not that I could afford it, but have you considered doing setups like these for sale to those of us with less electronics talent and/or time and inclination? I admit I have not yet sat down to read your blog, and it may prove a trivial task, but I'm assuming that the 'since I don't know how to do it, therefore it must be simple' Point-Haired Boss meme doesn't actually work, that it's actually somewhat complicated to do.

I am not sure if that sentence actually made sense. If it did, and you understood what I meant, great. If not, feel free to assume I'm just suffering 'Vacation Dementia' from spending 3 days alone with a 3-yr old and infant in a different city. Now... where did I put my meds...?
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Guild Applicant

Quote Originally Posted by Master TMO View Post
    Random question, not that I could afford it, but have you considered doing setups like these for sale to those of us with less electronics talent and/or time and inclination? I admit I have not yet sat down to read your blog, and it may prove a trivial task, but I'm assuming that the 'since I don't know how to do it, therefore it must be simple' Point-Haired Boss meme doesn't actually work, that it's actually somewhat complicated to do.
    I've moved onto other projects, but I've published everything necessary to build/use one. The 3d printed pieces are the only part that can't be found online, but you can get them printed by places like Shapeways for probably not a ridiculous price.

The software end of it is reasonably simple to use if you are familiar with Python and just want to display equirectangular globe images on it.

With sufficient determination, you should be able to build and use one without any electronics or optics knowledge, and a basic understanding of how to use Python scripts.