Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make your own dngbat fonts with Inkscape

Default Make your own dngbat fonts with Inkscape

I just discovered this tutorial: http://cleversomeday.wordpress.com/2...nkscape-dings/ that provides a template SVG to create a dingbat SVG font. Combined with this online converter: http://onlinefontconverter.com/ you can then turn it into a ttf, otf, or some other font usable by your system.

I tried it and it works quite well. Here is a screenshot of wordpad showing a ttf with four glyphs I doodled following the tutorial document.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010-02-10_105455.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	22010

-Rob A>

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Wow...

That is cool.

So... let's say I had made a series of images of a con-alphabet for a con-lang in GIMP... would you say it's feasible to import these into inkscape, using this svg font tutorial, combined with the onlinefontconverter site, to turn that GIMPy alphabet into a semi-useable TTF? Granted, I realize it wouldn't be super professional-looking (not knowing a thing, as I do, about such subjects as kerning, etc.) And using the straight GIMP images without cleaning up into a smooth-looking vector image will mean I'd have scaling and anti-aliasing issues... but it sounds feasible..
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    Wow...

That is cool.

So... let's say I had made a series of images of a con-alphabet for a con-lang in GIMP... would you say it's feasible to import these into inkscape, using this svg font tutorial, combined with the onlinefontconverter site, to turn that GIMPy alphabet into a semi-useable TTF? Granted, I realize it wouldn't be super professional-looking (not knowing a thing, as I do, about such subjects as kerning, etc.) And using the straight GIMP images without cleaning up into a smooth-looking vector image will mean I'd have scaling and anti-aliasing issues... but it sounds feasible..
    Inkscape can do a fairly decent trace bitmap, so don't worry about anti-aliasing issues. Post up a png and I'll run a couple characters through the process for you!

-Rob A>

Oh great and wise and [begin ass kissing] [/end ass kissing] Rob A... does GIMP handle SVG on its own? Do we have to have Inkscape to undertake this miracle?
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

SVG is a vector format, therefore you need a vector app to work with it. GIMP is raster and does not output vector objects. Though I might still have to use Inkscape to do this, I may try a workaround in Xara Xtreme Pro 4.0 as it can import/export SVG as well.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Inkscape can do a fairly decent trace bitmap, so don't worry about anti-aliasing issues. Post up a png and I'll run a couple characters through the process for you!

-Rob A>
    Will do, but it will be tonight at the earliest when I do so, and possibly not then (I have to paint some cabinet doors tonight).
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Inkscape specifically supports SVG font sets (though poorly for the moment - it was a Google Summer of Code project last year), and the online converter will convert from SVG font sets. Don't know if XARA (while supporting SVG) can do SVG font-sets.

Gimp can do basic SVG import/rendering and path export (as SVG) but that is it. I like to use the two together.

-Rob A>

Here are a few example characters of the alphabet I've worked on.

Name:	Allari Queythalia Vowel Group Glyph 01-i-round-open.png 
Views:	207 
Size:	3.2 KB 
ID:	22059

Name:	Allari Queythalia Vowel Group Glyph 07-a-accute-sharp.png 
Views:	137 
Size:	2.4 KB 
ID:	22060

Name:	Allari Queythalia Glyph 05-m.png 
Views:	154 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	22061

Name:	Allari Queythalia Glyph 27-x-h.png 
Views:	430 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	22062
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Wow...

That is really cool. I am super-impressed! I'd been looking for a way to do this (to experiment with when I had free time) if it were possible, but this kind of blows my socks off.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast