Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Continent of Valarina - First Map

Map The Continent of Valarina - First Map

Hi, I'm ImperialLuresha and I am newcomer to this site

This is the first map I have made using photoshop. Usually I make maps by hand just for leisure but I thought I would give it a try on the computer. I usually show the progression of the political situation of the map over several hundred years, and plan on doing it for this one. This map is based on one of the first maps I drew in high school. I am open to any advise and comments. Also, if anyone is interested in the lore I am more than happy to share it with you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valarina-gammaoceans.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	4.73 MB 
ID:	60544

Here are some additional maps I made.

One of Valarina 120 Years in the future.

Name:	valarina-210dk.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	4.06 MB 
ID:	60549

And a close up of the southeast shore.

Name:	tiraandelta.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	3.43 MB 
ID:	60550

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Malach's Avatar
    Yomitan-son Nakagami-gun, Okinawa, Japan, Japan

Beautiful maps

Thank you

Things sure have changed in 120 years when you compare the borders, what happened ? Wars ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ImperialLuresha View Post
    Also, if anyone is interested in the lore I am more than happy to share it with you.]
    How could I not be, with all those boundary changes? Something
    interesting must have been going on

I like the static effect, it's not seen that often. In the future you
    might consider making more dramatic mountains. Very nice
    overall.
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Quote Originally Posted by foremost View Post
    How could I not be, with all those boundary changes? Something
    interesting must have been going on

I like the static effect, it's not seen that often. In the future you
    might consider making more dramatic mountains. Very nice
    overall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Things sure have changed in 120 years when you compare the borders, what happened ? Wars ?
    First of all thank you for your interest in my map and second of all let me explain some of the basic lore.

The first map of Valarina represents the continent in the year 133 D.K and the second map represents the map in 210 D.K. These years are considered some of Valatina's most tumultuous years.

The first major event takes place in 166 D.K, when the Cavaanian King pushes his cousins claim on the throne of Vaan, this is known as the Vaanish Sucession War or simply, the Lower War. Upon the declaration of war, Vaan who has marriage ties with both Varaan and Tiraan calls them into the war as its allies. Expecting this, Cavaan had made a secret alliance with Luresha, its old rival. Luresha then joins in the war with the promises of land and the establishment of a free trade zone that connected the Kingdoms of Cavaan and Luresha. After fighting for nearly five years the Lower War ends with the defeat of the Varaanese, Tiraanese, and Vaanish. This results in Cavaan annexing Vaan and Varaan as sub-kingdoms and Luresha gains half of Tiraan. However, the amount of land gained by Luresha and the failure to establish the free trade zone leaves Luresha embittered and leads to the destruction of the Luresho-Cavanian alliance. Since, the cultures of Luresha, Tiraan, Varaan, Cavaan and Vaan all originate from the Vaant culture, these changes in borders do not cause much unrest within the kingdoms.

Around 180 D.K Luresha declares war on the Kingdom of Deva, in order to strengthen its position as it feels that a war with Cavaan is inevitable. Luresha's war against Deva almost results in Luresha's defeat through attrition, however Deva surrenders just before. Due to its near loss at the hands of the Deva, Luresha is only able to annex half of the country, which is mostly covered in desert. This endeavor leaves Luresha more financially and militaristically crippled than before.

Seeing that the Lower states are growing in size and power and the fact that Cavaan now borders Tosandria, the king of Tosandria Oburon declares war on the mining nation of Nevandr in order to procure precious metals. This takes place in 198 D.K, and results in the swift defeat of Nevandr, the annexation of Nevandr by Tosandria and the enslavement of the Nevi people. Tosandria wary of rebellion relocates thousands of Nevi back into mainland Tosandria, namely the cities of Fizzo, Grivial and Reva to be used as slave laborers.

Finally the last event to take place within this time period is the dissolution of Dorralor. Dorralor is a federation of three different nations Kingdom of Dorralor, the Papacy of the Navarii and the nation of Devrani. The federation was created around the year 34 D.K in order to combat Devanese growth. Once united the nations proved to be a rival to Tosandria. Therefore, in the year 203 D.K, Tosandria embargoes the Federation of Dorralor leading to its bankruptcy, due to the fact that Deva refused to help and that trade through the Nezanin Wastes was basically impossible. During the economic turmoil, the federation disputes over what to do. The Papacy of the Navarii, opens its arms to Tosandria and allows it collect its natural resources in exchange for Tosandria subsidizing its economy. The Devrani nation renames itself the Devrani Free Lands and declares itself as a refuge for any person that has been afflicted by war or warmongering, becoming the first pacifist government of Valarina. The remainder of the land remains in the hands of the Kingdom of Dorralor who vows to take revenge on Tosandria and to reconquest the lands of the Navarii and Devrani, which it now views as rightful lands of the Kingdom of Dorralor.

This is just a rough oveview of the lore. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask.

I made a couple more close ups. Here I have the Southwest and the Northwest.

Name:	southwest-delta.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	3.90 MB 
ID:	60558

Name:	northwestdelta.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	4.06 MB 
ID:	60559

I agree with the sentiment that I would like to see a little more geography in these maps, but they are otherwise very nice. They have a nice old fashioned feel to them, which I think alot of the more fractally created maps lack. And I dig the static effect. It makes it feel like its drawn on parchment or leather or something without overdoing the effect. Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by eternalsage View Post
    I agree with the sentiment that I would like to see a little more geography in these maps, but they are otherwise very nice. They have a nice old fashioned feel to them, which I think alot of the more fractally created maps lack. And I dig the static effect. It makes it feel like its drawn on parchment or leather or something without overdoing the effect. Very nice.
    Thanks so much for the feedback. I am thinking of expanding the rivers and embellishing the mountains. However, I want to keep the map's simplicity due to the fact is that its purpose is mostly political. =)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast