Thread: High res lunar images

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Default High res lunar images

Waldronate's thread for lunar DEM's reminded me of a discussion from another forum I frequent, we were talking about lunar landing conspiracy theories and someone brought up the following -

The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter has taken 25cm/pixel shots of the Apollo 12, 14, and 17 landing sites so you can actually see the tracks made by the astronauts and in case of 17, the lunar rover.

the video

The Apollo 17 landing site

Apollo 12

And 14

Full page at:
    http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LR...llo-sites.html

thought it was kind of nifty

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Pfft... looks 'shopped.

just kidding.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Very cool stuff! I doubt it'll change the mind of anyone that really *doesn't* believe we put people on the Moon - sort of like the folks that still believe the world is flat.
    M

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

WHAT!?! - The world is NOT flat!!?!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

You're just hungry. Go eat some pancakes and you'll be back to normal

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I'm in the boat that says it's faked.
    Those pictures aren't proof. We make maps and pictures for a living, and some highlights and shadows are supposed to make me say oh yeah it's real.
    Also if we can take pictures of galaxies in full color billions of miles away, how come I have yet to see one really nice clear color image of the landing site... of course I would disprove that too, unless I was the one taking the shot.
    So far.. I'm not convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    WHAT!?! - The world is NOT flat!!?!
    It IS flat. Locally, at least...

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DevinNight View Post
    I'm in the boat that says it's faked.
    Those pictures aren't proof. We make maps and pictures for a living, and some highlights and shadows are supposed to make me say oh yeah it's real.
    Also if we can take pictures of galaxies in full color billions of miles away, how come I have yet to see one really nice clear color image of the landing site... of course I would disprove that too, unless I was the one taking the shot.
    So far.. I'm not convinced.
    The times when photos were a proof of something are long gone thanks to graphic software. But even before people tried to manipulate photographies. So I can understand you point.
    Last edited by Sapiento; 09-08-2011 at 05:52 AM.