Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desolate - WIP/Near-finished

Wip The Nomad Lands

So, the original post is still there *Points at the quote box below*. Some of the information in there still applies.

I started reworking this map the other day. What I've got left to do now is labelling, et cetera. I'll probably touch up the rivers at some point, too, since they don't blend with the land as nicely as I'd like. I'm extremely proud of this map now, though.

I'm especially proud of the forests. I haven't been able to replicate them fully (and I still can't replicate the land or sea the same way), but I'm uploading a tutorial to get something similar over here.

Comments would be appreciated and welcomed.

THE METHOD.

I've realised since posting this that it's nigh impossible for me to simulate the sea. There were just way too many things that I did that I've forgotten. That's okay with me, though.

This is different map, however, that used two different versions of RobA's Making Not-So-Random Coastlines (mainly the turbulent noise method for the outer islands.

It took me a while to reach the point that I'm at because I didn't want to use the tutorials here as much as I usually would. I've used them for base methods (like creating the land shapes, et cetera), but I like to think that a lot of this map is my own.

I'm particularly proud of my version of the sea. From memory, I took the land mask layer, blurred it roughly one whole load, and then did something with the threshold. Then it was blurred again, and I added the Land Mask again so the land would still show through (that level is Multiplied onto the Parchment layer). Above that, Overlaid onto the blurry white and black is turbulent noise, maximum size and detail, and Multiplied over THAT is a generic sea shape layer, like in the Artistic Regional Map thread. Essentially just a blurred land mask and gradient map in blues. At the very bottom of my layer stack (at least, above all the scrap layers I occasionally need) is my parchment pattern layer, and THAT is what gives the sea the look it has. The other three layers don't do anything substantial without that parchment layer... which is what I was aiming for.

The land is still so far unfinished, but I doubt I'll end up colouring it. I like it with that colour far too much. I'll have to do something to differentiate between weather patterns (since the outer ring of islands is nearly completely snow or sand). For the land, I took a turbulent noise level (max detail, size 10, if memory serves) and made a bump map above it. From there, I overlaid the bump map onto white, duplicated from visible twice, gave both new visible layers a 20px Gaussian Blur, and embossed it, flipping the azimuth in one so it would oppose the first. Those are overlaid onto the bump map, which is multiplied onto the parchment. Because it still looked stupid, I duplicated the Parchment layer, took it to the top, and added the land mask so it would keep the colour of the land somewhat close to original, instead of looking like it had sat in the sun for a few days.

The rest of what I've done was just symbols and labels, but it has taken me about a week and a half of on and off work, because I've changed the sea a good three or four times, adding and removing texture layers, and I didn't realise how to do the land until yesterday morning. Now, it's somewhat close to finished, all because I'm a genius. I had the problem with the emboss layers that it made it look as though it was "popping" out to one side. Redoing it and flipping the azimuth didn't work. That's when I made the second emboss layer, and overlaid it. Then I just messed with Opacity levels. I've learned a lot about GIMP through this... a LOT (this "LOT" is in comparison to only knowing what I was told to do beforehand).

THE MAP.

I don't want to say too much about it for fear of losing my interest, but...

Desolate is a large continent surrounded by a ring of islands that sits in the middle of a worldwide ocean. Upon this planet, there is no other above sea-level land, although large port bases on the outer edge set up expeditions to find other land. Magic is near nonexistent and is limited to the imagination, and what the mind can physically manifest. That is, what traces of magic can be seen are so small that most doubt their existence. Pirates are highly common, making their living on the southern isles.

I'm yet to discover any "monsters" that live on Desolate, although I've no doubt that there are common animals far different than our own.

...And that's all I'm willing to say on the matter.

All your comments will be appreciated and more than welcome, and any and all advice to do with rivers and land colouring will be taken highly into account.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Desolate.png 
Views:	448 
Size:	4.51 MB 
ID:	31152  
    Last edited by VincentAlliath; 11-29-2010 at 02:10 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Very stylish and eye-catching. Looks almost like a logo. Nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Very stylish and eye-catching. Looks almost like a logo. Nice job.
    You just summed up the mix of thoughts I had a while ago when I did the initial land shape. Of course, I ignored those thoughts in place of the "that looks SO. DAMN. COOL" thoughts, but what are you going to do? Thank you very much for the compliment.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I really like the font you used, what is the name of it?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

that font looks like the distinctive Bleeding Cowboy... i am a fan as well.

My post didn't appear.

Yes, it's Bleeding Cowboy. It's on dafont under Western. I won't be using it for the smaller area labels. I've done that before and found that I instantly hated the font when I used it for anything apart from large labels.

Not much left for me to do anymore, either. I just have to finish labeling. I'm working on a flash version of the map, too...

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Very nice! I think the mountains at this scale are very well done.

-Rob A>
    <arrogant>That's what I tell myself every time I turn on my laptop and see it on my desktop!</arrogant>

<humble>Thank you, Mr. A!</humble>

Very nice map! Its all the things everyone has said +. I like that font also, works well with that color scheme.
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

Nearly a year later, I've been working on this map again. I thought it was finished before? HAH.

It's attached to the first post once more.

Comments are appreciated and welcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast