Thread: July 2007 Entry: Grandmother's Tale (aka Red Riding Hood)

Wip July 2007 Entry: Grandmother's Tale (aka Red Riding Hood)

Here it is, I've only had today to work on it; names are placeholders right now except Red's, Grandma's and the Path of Pins and the Path of Needles (which comes from the original version of the tale). Pretty much the rest I made up and very well could change in the days I have left before final submission.

Regarding the Pins and Needles: Terry Windling says that this has to do with the maturation process of young women. The Path of Pins was for maidens. Notice I have a meadow for Red to tarry in, as she did in some versions of the tale, as well as a place to catch butterflies, as she is supposed to have done as well. Meanwhile the Path of Needles was for sexual maturity/becoming a woman. When the Wolf asks her at the beginning if she will take the Path of Pins or Needles he is actually trying to pick her up. I placed some of the pitfalls of that in the path, which is obvious why Red would want to take the longer Path of Pins...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grandmas001.gif 
Views:	951 
Size:	494.2 KB 
ID:	547  
    Last edited by Publius; 07-22-2007 at 01:28 AM.

Superb! It really has the illustrative qualities of a fairy tale drawing! I love the place names as well, each one conjures up a fairy tale in my mind! And you've found a great use for the triangular escarpment symbols too (which I've been trying to work out recently).

Great work!

Ravs

Praise

I agree! This is well done and definitely captures the true spirit of the metaphoric ideals of the story. Well done.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Haha! Well done!! Loooove the place names--they add so much to the thematic significance you describe in your intro. Great, just great.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Guild Member

I'm likin' the way ye did the Conscience river and how the foresty area sort of clears just enough to show the path of the river through it...

I like the way the rivers themselves look...

I like the fractal outline along the road... it's just awesome how somethings so simple conveys so much. I'm refering to the fact that i can tell that all that green area is a forest even though there is no foresty texture save for the edges.

Very nice.

Thanks everybody! I'll give it the once-over tomorrow morning and decide whether to submit it as-is or make a few tweaks. I try to give this sort of thing a few days of "downtime" so that I can see the work with fresh eyes.

Regarding the style, thanks again for the comments. I'm looking at most of the maps here, the styles are a quite different from mine and frnakly, I wasn;t sure if folks would like my style. The Photorealistic angle doesn't really work well with illustrator, and I prefer a very simple clean line for my own work (when I do it it looks somewhat shabby, although I certainly can and do like that look when done by others more capable than myself -- I guess that it would be analogous to a musician who is accomplished in one type of music but appreciates other forms even if he doesn't have the knack for them). There is also a practical angle, most of my work gets printed in black and white, so there really is no need for a lot of color and many of the more subtle details would be lost anyway.

I'm very glad people seem to like this however.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvik View Post
    I'm likin' the way ye did the Conscience river and how the foresty area sort of clears just enough to show the path of the river through it...

I like the way the rivers themselves look...

I like the fractal outline along the road... it's just awesome how somethings so simple conveys so much. I'm refering to the fact that i can tell that all that green area is a forest even though there is no foresty texture save for the edges.

Very nice.
    One interesting thing about the road: it isn't really a fractal. I applied a pattern to the stroke of the road which is an amalgam of larger dots than those used for the roadbed. By making the stroke 3 points wide it gives the broken appearance. Thus it defines without overwhelming and looks very fractal-like because of the irregular way that I lay the road and the way that pattern fills/strokes work in Illustrator.

I have in the past (a recent map for HERO Games) used different methods to do this: a dotted line that I have given an irregular dash-gap ratio then applied a guassian blur to, but frankly I like this method a whole lot more. Plus it is a lot easier.

I try to do everything (map-wise) in that spare style, convey as much as you can with as little as possible and that sort of thing. Sometimes I come up short, but here I have been very happy with the outcome.

Updated (and Final) Version. Not really all that much in the line of changes.

I presume that I do not need to post this on a "fresh" thread??

### Winner ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grandmas002.gif 
Views:	288 
Size:	391.1 KB 
ID:	562
    Last edited by ChickPea; 08-26-2018 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Added Winner tag