Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter farmhouse battlemap

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Post Winter farmhouse battlemap

Hey there. Life has been a bit busy here, but I have had time to knock up an encounter map for my group for tonight. Here it is:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Farmstead.jpg 
Views:	1218 
Size:	444.1 KB 
ID:	4383

The outdoor toilet is purely for RPMiller. A present...

This is the first time using the hand-drawn style I've been working on for buildings and I'm really not sire about the results. Definitely room for improvement, but this was a quick map.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Hey there. Life has been a bit busy here, but I have had time to knock up an encounter map for my group for tonight. Here it is:

Name:	Farmstead.jpg 
Views:	1218 
Size:	444.1 KB 
ID:	4383

The outdoor toilet is purely for RPMiller. A present...

This is the first time using the hand-drawn style I've been working on for buildings and I'm really not sire about the results. Definitely room for improvement, but this was a quick map.
    That's pretty darn nice! The wagon tracks are a real nice touch, but you may want to put in a round about with the tracks in the front yard or around the back of the house as I doubt the horses are able to go in reverse that well with the wagon attached.

I assume thats a small cliff behind the house? Very nicely done, though I can't tell which direction it goes. Looks like you fall down into if from the house level.

Very cool, though I don't know we need to actually SEE inside the outhouse... heh.....

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Good catch about the wagon tracks. I'll fix that. Yes, the light comes from the NW so the cliffs drop down from the house level.

Thanks both for the compliments. As for what's not to like - the trees are a first shot at bare trees and they are okay, but not great. There should be some form of roots beneath them to make them more grounded. Also, some of the lines are too heavy and a few of the rocks look like they are flying. However, I'm mostly happy with this. I am very happy with the snow effect and overall colour scheme. That was probably my biggest concern when I began the map. We'll see how it plays tonight...

Good catch about the wagon tracks. I'll fix that. Yes, the light comes from the NW so the cliffs drop down from the house level.

Thanks both for the compliments. As for what's not to like - the trees are a first shot at bare trees and they are okay, but not great. There should be some form of roots beneath them to make them more grounded. Also, some of the lines are too heavy and a few of the rocks look like they are flying. However, I'm mostly happy with this. I am very happy with the snow effect and overall colour scheme. That was probably my biggest concern when I began the map. We'll see how it plays tonight...
    I rather like the trees and don't think that they need root lines. If nothing else, if there is snow, they would be covered up anyway. Besides, with the height of the camera, it would be just as likely that any exposed roots would be under the tree limbs as exposed around them.

As for the rocks, I see what you mean, but I would not worry about it. I really can't think of any way to clean them up other than perhaps using a much smaller brush to make the rock out lines and at this point, I would not bother. In any event, the existing lines match with the artistic style of the house and trees, so I don't think you need to worry with changing it the map at all (other than cover the outhouse... I mean come on... heh...)

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

For a quick map it's almost frame-worthy in a gallery. The color scheme kicks bootay and the tree shadows are sweet.

Thanks for the crits Joe and the compliment Ark. I'd probably need to spend a bit more time on the rock shadows to ground them properly. I think the tonal value on the shaded side of the rock should be closer to the shadow on the ground close to the rock. That would tie them together better. Anyway, the game is done now and it went well. Here's a little screenie of it in use:

Name:	farmstead3.png 
Views:	275 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	4391

Why do players always set fire to things?

Blog Entries

Why do players always set fire to things?
    You wanna make em pay for the damage - that will stop them pretty quick.

"Thankyou Lord [insert suitably avant-gard fighter name] for clearing out my house infestation. Heres 2500gp... less 5gps per smashed door, 150gps to replace the burnt rugs, 250gps to buy some new paintings, 500gps to compensate my daughters trauma..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Fire is FUN!!!
    but I haven't the foggiest clue as to why players set things on fire... my players also like to set things on fire... and 80% of the time... it isn't even intentional... lol

How about: "the flames have almost completely engulfed the roof of the (the next few words are spoken very quietly almost inaudibly) lamp oil repository (back to normal voice) as you approach eagerly searching for any loot. You get within ...lets say (roll a dice and stare knowingly at it regardless of what the result is) 5 feet from the flaming building."

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast