Thread: Quick and easy cities

Default Quick and easy cities

I'm looking for a quick way to map out large fantasy cities without skipping out on details, I am currently using photoshop cs2. What can I do to make an easier quicker experience of map making?

Unfortunately short of some sort of random city generator, "quick" and "city map with details" do not go hand in hand. There are a few city map tutorials on the forum but you're going to need to invest some time into it for anything other than a map that shows a few main roads, district blocks and the location of a few important buildings.

Larb already got to the point

But, you could use a city generator and then improve the result with photoshop. Using multiple software really multiply the possibilities.

Thanks, what do you guys think of making five or six houses then using a copy paste method to fill space. The important buildings and other structures being made separate?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    Unfortunately short of some sort of random city generator, "quick" and "city map with details" do not go hand in hand. There are a few city map tutorials on the forum but you're going to need to invest some time into it for anything other than a map that shows a few main roads, district blocks and the location of a few important buildings.
    My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecrath View Post
    Thanks, what do you guys think of making five or six houses then using a copy paste method to fill space. The important buildings and other structures being made separate?
    May help a little, but one still has to position hundreds if not thousands of buildings by hand. And you'd need more than 5 or 6 to keep it from looking repetetive. A few users here (myself included) have tried to use randomized brushes made up from several building shapes to get a better and/or quicker result. See this thread for examples. Nonetheless, city maps are *always* a heck of a lot of work.

Guild Adept

Starting from a city generator and then retouching the result in photoshop is the only shortcut I think could work. "Quick and easy", however, remain relative terms even in that case when speaking about cities.
    There are various options, like:

Roleplaying City Map Generator » Inkwell Ideas

Roleplaying City Map Generator - Software Informer. Create unlimited maps of any kind of villages, towns, big cities for roleplaying.

There was one (or more?) tutorial somewhere in this guild on the topic city generator + photoshop (or Gimp)

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Here is one such tut. Written for PS, but usable in Gimp. There is a PDF on the last page as well.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent