Thread: Dropping in for a visit and inspiration

Default Dropping in for a visit and inspiration

Hi. My name is Burt. I'm an older guy. I always liked the fantasy maps, looked at the software now and then but never got around to it. I just started on my first book and will need some simple maps to keep things organized and also to perhaps generate more ideas. I'm a little afraid I'll fall down the rabbit hole and draw maps for the next few months so I'm going to try to keep only one of my toes in the pool (attached to my foot of course).

I do have Photoshop experience and a bit of a lot of other things though I just shake my head in awestruck wonder when I see some of the creations here.

Hope to get to know you and learn from you - but will try hard not to fall totally in the pool until I get that first book out there.

All the best,

Burt

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Welcome to the guild, Burt! Haha, yes, cartography can definitely be a deep pool that takes you away from some of the other things that might need doing... or wait, maybe those other things are taking you away from cartography... This is a really welcoming community with some very generous souls sharing all kinds of great tricks, tips, and information. I'm always excited to see writers around, since I'm betting you will have some things to share about story-telling.

Thanks for the chance to surface, now I have to get back in the pool.

Cheers,
    Meshon

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    Welcome [...] This is a really welcoming community with some very generous souls sharing all kinds of great tricks, tips, and information..[...] I'm always excited to see writers around, since I'm betting you will have some things to share about story-telling.

Thanks for the chance to surface, now I have to get back in the pool.
    I can see this is a great community. These are always the best ones - when there is passion in what you doing and lots of involvement.

I'll let you get back to the pool. I know the lure of creative things is hard to resist (impossible perhaps). I tend to detour. I already popped out Photoshop to draw an island - just a little one to test an idea, then downloaded AutoRealm, just to try the fractal drawing tools - you see it how it goes. Broke out the writing this morning and will try to stay on task.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stormweasel View Post
    I know the lure of creative things is hard to resist (impossible perhaps). I tend to detour. I already popped out Photoshop to draw an island
    So... where's the island? Seriously though, its never really too early to start posting. A location from your writing maybe?

I am almost fully submerged right now because I'm trying to finish one of the challenges in time (which I would highly recommend attempting!) and I have only a few hours left. And miles to map before I sleep...

cheers,
    Meshon

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    So... where's the island? Seriously though, its never really too early to start posting. A location from your writing maybe?

I am almost fully submerged right now because I'm trying to finish one of the challenges in time (which I would highly recommend attempting!) and I have only a few hours left. And miles to map before I sleep...
    Not worth posting. I just was testing an idea to see if it would work - layering some of my old textures, then painting masks to expose different parts of them in an island shape. My old Intuos 2 gave up the ghost some time back and so back to drawing with a trackball mouse. I do have soe places I would like to map and may post a pencil sketch tonight and start from that.

I'll check out the challenges. Good luck and have fun.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Welcome aboard, Burt, good to have you here! I second Meshon; get into some of the Challenges if you have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Welcome aboard, Burt, good to have you here! I second Meshon; get into some of the Challenges if you have a chance.
    I will - thank you. Definitely feeling welcome.