Thread: Ihmlán - A Fantasy World

Map Ihmlán - A Fantasy World

This is the world setting for a fantasy play by post RPG I run. The current game is set on the island Domhan, but I've got some plans for future games in other parts of the world as well.

Thanks to Midgardsormr and SeerBlue for the feedback and encouragement in the WIP thread, and to Sigurd and landorl for the kind words in that same thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Display.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	5962   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Altitude.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	5963   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Climate.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	5964   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rainfall.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	5965   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Temperature.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	2.75 MB 
ID:	5966  

Craig's Cartography
    Campaign Cartographer 3 User

Guild Novice

This is really nice. You've thought out things pretty globally. A minor qualm: some of the detail (e.g. the rivers) is so fine that it's hard to see.

I really like the names: Irish a language I've also used myself in a couple of settings. Any real or invented language gives an incredible add to flavour!

-ile

Guild Apprentice

Those maps are very nice. What program was this? Out of curiosity, were these all different files or just different layers?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkka View Post
    This is really nice. You've thought out things pretty globally. A minor qualm: some of the detail (e.g. the rivers) is so fine that it's hard to see.

I really like the names: Irish a language I've also used myself in a couple of settings. Any real or invented language gives an incredible add to flavour!

-ile
    Rivers are tough for me - I actually think that if all of the rivers shown on the map are large enough to show up at all on this scale, one almost couldn't take a step without dipping toes in a smaller river, creek, or stream . . . And the thought of naming all of them just about makes my poor old brain lock up.

The rivers show up somewhat more clearly in CC3. Translation to .pdf or .jpg seems to soften things a little. I used a transparency effect on the rivers sheet as well - I'll see what happens if I turn up the opacity a little.

Thanks for the comments and kind words! I agree completely about the use of a consistent language. It's cool the way language interacts with and influences other aspects of the campaign.
    Last edited by Mowgli; 08-24-2008 at 06:52 PM.
    Craig's Cartography

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
    Those maps are very nice. What program was this? Out of curiosity, were these all different files or just different layers?
    Thanks!

This was all done as a single map in Campaign Cartographer 3, using a combination of sheets and layers. I put hotlink buttons on the CC3 map that produce each of these views with a click. I cut them out of the .jpgs because they really detract from the overall attractiveness, and of course don't serve any function outside of the CC3 environment.

I started with a random Fractal Terrains world, then added some details in that program to make the random world generated match what I'd already done for my pen and paper maps. Then I exported it to CC3 and spent ages tweaking the contour lines and colors, figuring out the sheets/effects, etc. It was definitely a learning experience - but I still think I've barely scratched the surface of what the software can do.
    Last edited by Mowgli; 08-24-2008 at 06:50 PM.
    Craig's Cartography

Thanks, ravells.

Now if I can just remember how I did all of it . . .
    Craig's Cartography