Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hate computers

Post I hate computers

So on a whim I installed FreeBSD and tried to dual boot it with my windows install. I ended up with a functioning BSD install and a dead windows. After a ridiculously long ridiculous set of ridiculous events where, ridiculously enough, everything goes wrong at every step, I managed to get my computer up and running with windows again in the short short timespan of a week and a half, but not before nuking my drive and reinstalling windows (thrice).

Not a big deal because I don't keep anything important on OS drives anyway, just in case something like this happens. Except I totally failed to realize I had installed Photoshop on that same drive. Which is where it saves all the things you make within the program by default. Meaning all my patterns, color swatches et cetera are all gone.

Oy shoot me now.

And while I'm rambling, is there a preferred medium for publishing guides here? Like do people prefer they be in PDFs or whatever?

"Trust The Computer. The Computer is Your Friend."
    "We are happy because The Computer tells us so."
    "Cleanup on aisle three."

"The only thing worse than a computer is not having one." -- töff

Quote Originally Posted by sarandosil View Post
    And while I'm rambling, is there a preferred medium for publishing guides here? Like do people prefer they be in PDFs or whatever?
    There's been some effort in converting existing tutorials to PDF format, however, nothing "cut in stone" as a preference. I guess I prefer PDF to DOC format or similar. Currently many of the tutorials are just thread posts in a forum which works fine for us too. But PDF is probably the better option.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

If you fell like trying again, I've had FreeBSD and WinXP dual booting on the same machine, and my dad's done it with both XP and Vista (although we've not tired 7) So shoot me a PM and an email and we'll see if we can't make it significantly less painless (its actually stupid easy with XP/FreeBSD and GRUB provided you do things in the right order... Vista's more of a pain... and I expect 7 will be as well)
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Quote Originally Posted by Notsonoble View Post
    we'll see if we can't make it significantly less painless
    You don't happen to work for Dell Customer Support, do you? They always make things less painless for me.

I prefer forum posts for tutorials. I'm far less likely to read a tut if I have to download it. I'd say I only d/l one in twenty or so, but I'll quite likely read the entirety of a thread.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

So on a whim I installed FreeBSD and tried to dual boot it with my windows install. I ended up with a functioning BSD install and a dead windows.
    It used to be the case that the partitioning softwares didn't play nice with each other. If you messed with the partition that windows lives in from the BSD manager, it would cause windows not to recognize the partition anymore. Still, the windows/dos partition manager doesn't give you many options, so you have to run the BSD manager to set up an inode file system for your BSD install.

In any case, Windows doesn't like to play nice with anything else. So it goes

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    You don't happen to work for Dell Customer Support, do you? They always make things less painless for me.

I prefer forum posts for tutorials. I'm far less likely to read a tut if I have to download it. I'd say I only d/l one in twenty or so, but I'll quite likely read the entirety of a thread.
    No, in fact I find them quite painful at my job... (especially their tape library support)
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Guild Journeyer

Blame Microsoft for that. Every other Operating System I've worked with plays quite nicely with other OSs, but Microsoft makes you jump through hoops to do the same things.

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window"

Not a big deal because I don't keep anything important on OS drives anyway, just in case something like this happens. Except I totally failed to realize I had installed Photoshop on that same drive. Which is where it saves all the things you make within the program by default. Meaning all my patterns, color swatches et cetera are all gone.
    Yeah, I try to do the same thing for the same reason.
    My machine was one step away from getting itself axe-murdered at the weekend.

Hmm, thanks for the heads-up. Viewingdale does the same thing. I oughta back that up - and soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Talroth View Post

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window"
    LOL. That one's signature grade.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast