Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ad 4000

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wip Ad 4000

New month, new project.

This is going to be fairly ambitious (for me, anyway). Full-on world map, in a vein similar to Moutarde's excellent, awesome WIP. It's a planet colonized by Earthmen in roughly AD 2500. Sometime during the next millennium, the Terran Empire collapsed, and an interstellar dark age took hold, lasting for several centuries, and much longer in some places... like this planet, which I don't have a name for yet. This place is now starting to pull itself up out of the darkness, and it's at roughly a level of steam technology, with some rediscovered tech thrown into the mix.

And here's the base map, laid out in Western (left) and Eastern (right) Hemispheres:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AD4000v1.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	21732  

Right on! Some nice interesting landmasses to work with there. It kind of looks like you put the landmasses straight in the spheres though, rather than drawing each one a square canvas and warping into a spherical projection. I used a stereographic projection for mine, but an azimuthal projection gives the same effect, but with less distortion of the landmasses. Just some food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by moutarde View Post
    It kind of looks like you put the landmasses straight in the spheres though, rather than drawing each one a square canvas and warping into a spherical projection.
    Yeah, that's exactly what I did. I suck at warping stuff into different shapes. But since my goal is to make something pretty rather than strictly accurate, I will forgive myself.

Here's another WIP. This thing is going to suck a lot of space, I can already tell, so I might have to post by hemisphere instead of putting the whole thing up. It might get too big...

Name:	AD4000v2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	21739  

Forgiven

And bigger is always better, right?

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Well since it's not referencing a realworld location, you could always take the shortcut and say that IS what the place looks like after being warped

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    Well since it's not referencing a realworld location, you could always take the shortcut and say that IS what the place looks like after being warped
    Yeah! Yeah, that's the ticket!

I'm not sure in what program you're working, but if it's photoshop you could give the spherize filter a try? Might not be the thing that'll do the trick, with me having very! little experience with cartography. But hey, if you don't shoot, you always miss. (That is probably only an expression in Dutch, but it gets the message across)
    Doodle it.

@Matrim: I'm using photoshop CS2. I know of the spherize function, I'm just lousy at applying it. There's gotta be a way to do it, I just haven't figured it out yet.

Here's another WIP, with some preliminary countries and borders laid in, as well as major rivers. (I do think I'll go back and add in a bunch more rivers before I'm done, but these are just the big ones for right now...) I hid the background and borders, etc to reduce the file size a bit.

Name:	AD4000v3.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	21753  

Turns out the good thing about unemployment is that it gives me plenty of time for cartography.

In between emailing resumes and yakking on the phone with potential employers, here's what I did all day. Oh, and I decided to name the planet Nova Araby - for some reason I have it stuck in my head that it was named that by UN explorers and then actually settled by Arabs and... Russians.

Name:	Nova ArabyV4.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	21759  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast