Thread: Hai2u!

Default Hai2u!

Hello! My name is Josh. I'm a 30-something nerd that actually, through a series of unfortunate events, actually minored in GIS/cartography in college. The focus wasn't that strong, however, and we mostly ended up diddling around in databases than actually designing good maps.

I've always had a deep love of maps, and kept poking around the edges of this site wowed by what you guys come up with. Lately, after a rekindled love affair with Skyrim, I got a terrible itch to create a fantasy map from scratch - new world, new mythos, just something to draw. I.... have no idea what I'm doing. I have Inkscape though, however I'm not exactly a good artist (my main creative output is photography, something much more forgiving when it comes to the lack of drawing/painting ability).

Anyways, hello.

Welcome to the Guild Lordfly! Well Inkscape is certainly a good start. I've seen some lovely work done with it. There are one or two Inkscape tutorials that I'm familiar with (have a look in the Tutorials section at the Sticky "Tutorials in PDF Format"). You might find something useful. Well, all the best on your new project. Be sure to upload pics of your WIP map once you get started. You'll get some good feedback that way.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Welcome to the Guild Lordfly! Well Inkscape is certainly a good start. I've seen some lovely work done with it. There are one or two Inkscape tutorials that I'm familiar with (have a look in the Tutorials section at the Sticky "Tutorials in PDF Format"). You might find something useful. Well, all the best on your new project. Be sure to upload pics of your WIP map once you get started. You'll get some good feedback that way.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks! I found out I had some extra beer money in the budget and splurged on Campaign Cartographer.... but the interface is driving me crazy.

Yeah I've heard there is a steep learning curve with CC3. Have no experience with it but I wish you luck.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh