Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Lodge

Wip Fishing Lodge

I posted an earlier version of this map on another thread this week, and I thought it deserves a one of it's own. So here's a thread for this one. I call it simply "Fishing Lodge". It's a map from/for a real location, and I'm planning to use this map as a base for a website, so I (and others using the lodge) can flag the positions (etc..) where/when they got fish.

About the technical aspects of the map:

I don't know if the water bothers anyone else, but it could be a bit more realistic I think. Suggestions etc are always welcome.

The forest might be too dense?

Software used: Vue, Photoshop
    Time used: ~1 week of building and rebuilding, and finetuning..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fishing_Lodge.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	15530  
    Last edited by Jykke; 08-05-2009 at 12:02 PM.

Tutorial

I. LOVE. IT.

You're friends are a lucky bunch of anglers to have you keeping track of this. It'll probably work best for bass and catfish, since trout tend to move around too much depending on the time of year and weather. Better off trolling for those delicious little boogers.

Beautiful map Jykke... the trees and water look stunning.
    Would love to see you do a map of a small fantasy village like this. Or a big city
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Amazing!
    At first glance it looks like it's a real satellite photo.

The only detail that's standing out to me is on the road in the lower left, it looks like some of the smaller trees are growing on the road itself. The only reason i noticed that was because I was amazed at how neat the roads look, heh.

Everything else is perfect to my eyes Nicely done!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very, very nice...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    Amazing!
    At first glance it looks like it's a real satellite photo.

The only detail that's standing out to me is on the road in the lower left, it looks like some of the smaller trees are growing on the road itself. The only reason i noticed that was because I was amazed at how neat the roads look, heh.

Everything else is perfect to my eyes Nicely done!
    Yeah, there is some issues with the forest distribution map, I have to sort that out for sure. Thanks for pointing out the issue!

Gandwarf, I just might.. I just might.. one day.

msa, he sad thing is that there isn't really that many species on the lake.. :/ I did a paper version of the map earlier, but it didn't really get used that much. I hope this one will..

Steel General, Thanks

I did give a short preview of the map today to some people of our fishing group and the feedback was quite good They clearly knew the place straightaway from the map and liked the idea I had for the use of the map. For the final version I'll probably redo the lake height-map and the forest distribution map. And ofcourse will set the rendering options to maxium and crank the resolution to higher, even if it takes over 24 hours to render (with 2.8Ghz 3xcore processor.... ouch). I'll probably post the results later on the upcoming week. If there is more bugs you guys spot out, don't be shy, just post a message and let me know.

I'm loving the way it looks - I can't wait to see future versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jykke View Post
    msa, he sad thing is that there isn't really that many species on the lake.. :/ I did a paper version of the map earlier, but it didn't really get used that much. I hope this one will.
    What do y'all catch? I mean... I'm not much of a fisherman, I just like to get drunk on the water and look at trees. Usually trout and bass are stocked fish, although catfish are everywhere. Does the lake get stocked?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That is astounding. I love the way the water looks, especially the water lillies/pond scum/moss or whatever floating on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast