Thread: Gimp Brush Manager

Map Gimp Brush Manager

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Yep. Either into the local user profile brushes folder, or the main install brushes folder.

(On that note, I installed python-fu on my computer JUST to get the brush manager extension. It lets you dynamically activate and deactivate brush sets within gimp. I found that my 100's of grunge, tech and specialty brushes were starting to make it really hard to find the one I was looking for.)

-Rob A>
    OOOOO... tell me more (perhaps in the software forum). I was JUST about to ask a question to see if there was any way to create a multi level view(like a windows explorer tree for example) for palletes, gradients, and textures in GIMP as I am finding it rather annoying to quickly switch between 3-4 gradients and them be all over the place in the list... lots a searching..

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

It could probably be changed to be a palette or gradient manager, but most people have way more brushes than palettes or gradients.

The code is pretty simple.

You just define an install directory, and an active directory in the plugin itself. This is mine:
    Code:
    #################
    ## User Config ##
    #################
    ACTIVE_DIR=r"C:\Local Documents\Images\Gimp Brushes\ACTIVE_DIR" #<<<-----SET ME<<<----- (Directory to hold active sets)
    INSTALL_DIR=r"C:\Local Documents\Images\Gimp Brushes\INSTALL_DIR"#<<<-----SET ME<<<----- (Directory where you place your sets)

EXTENTIONS = [".gbr", ".vbr", ".gih", ".abr"] # Valid brush extentions

################
    ## End Config ##
    ################
    This in Gimp add the directory you assigned to ACTIVE_DIR to your brushes directory.

The program leaves all other (default install and user folder install) brushes alone. It gives a tossle list of every subdirectory under the INSTALL_DIR directory, and you can just check them on or off to activate different brush sets.

-Rob A>

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    OOOOO... tell me more (perhaps in the software forum). I was JUST about to ask a question to see if there was any way to create a multi level view(like a windows explorer tree for example) for palletes, gradients, and textures in GIMP as I am finding it rather annoying to quickly switch between 3-4 gradients and them be all over the place in the list... lots a searching..

Joe
    I was wondering where your post went. This discussion seems very useful!

Thanks Rob. I have not tried to install Python-fu yet, but a quick google search seemes to show lots of people having problems installing it onto Windows machines. Did you have any problems or any tips for doing the install and config? Have you tried Perl-fu either? I know Python just a tiny bit, but have been working with Perl for 10 years or so, so know it fairly well and would be easier for me to do some mods if I needed to(but I could figure out the Python if needed.)

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I honestly don't remember, but I think I just installed it using an installer someone had built... Think it might have been over at gimp talk...

http://www.gimptalk.com/forum/python...-4-t25587.html

I figured out python when I wanted to make some inkscape extensions...wasn't too bad. Seems easier than scheme.

I've never used perl, however, more of a php guy.

-Rob A>