Thread: Ceann Balor

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

Default Ceann Balor

Made this town map for a campaign I am running over at the CBG.

Tried to make it in GIMP at first, and incorporate RobA's Thatched roof script, but it wasn't coming together well. I may still do that at some point, but for now I just had to get it all down, so I did it by hand. Currently lacking a scanner, so I took a photo of it, and apparently the file is too big, so I am linking to it over on Flickr

Name:  7967157808_f50dd4f029_m.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  17.9 KB

Guild Journeyer

I really like this map and the names too. Language on the names?

Quote Originally Posted by Galendae View Post
    I really like this map and the names too. Language on the names?
    The main influence is Gaelic.

"Knockard" for instance, is an anglicized spelling of "cnoc ard" meaning "High Hill" in Irish Gaelic. "Brug" is an Old Irish word for a hostel. Leóman comes from Leómhan, a modern Irish word for a lion. If I remember correctly, "Broch" is Scottish, and refers to a stone tower.

And while "Tor" is a word that has appeared in Early Britain, in the context I have heard it used, it refers to a hill. While this would CORRESPOND with "cnoc ard" it would be redundant. In this case I am using the Latin meaning "Tower," to construct "Tower of the High Hill"

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Looks really nice! It would be great if you could colour it in too.
    Hmm, maybe. I'd get real nervous about messing it up if I went with colored pencils or watercolor though. (or any method of coloring the original) I mean, I could try overlaying color in GIMP...

Broch is a fairly recent term that refers to a fortified structure, specifically the drystone towers that dot the coasts of scotland and nearby islands. However the towers (brochs) themselves predate the scots and infact date before the roman occupation of britain (and may be somewhat concurrent with it).

They are super interesting structures though and anyone interested in ironage buildings should read up on them. I only bring this up because I have a big interest in them, so apologies for the tangent. I do have a village map of my own I made centered around a broch-like structure you see!

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    Broch is a fairly recent term that refers to a fortified structure, specifically the drystone towers that dot the coasts of scotland and nearby islands. However the towers (brochs) themselves predate the scots and infact date before the roman occupation of britain (and may be somewhat concurrent with it).

They are super interesting structures though and anyone interested in ironage buildings should read up on them. I only bring this up because I have a big interest in them, so apologies for the tangent.
    The setting is very iron age, but I have no problem mixing terms from much later. And I believe Broch's had rather specific dimensions as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    I do have a village map of my own I made centered around a broch-like structure you see!
    Is this map posted here? I'd like to see it.