Thread: [WIP] Un-named Map, thoughts?

Wip [WIP] Un-named Map, thoughts?

Been working on a map for a videogame me and a friend, hope one day to put together. Being my first hand drawn style cartographic expose I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions or tips?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GameMap_WIP.png 
Views:	156 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	40931
    Last edited by Servant Of Thor; 01-02-2012 at 06:04 AM.
    Nelde Cormar Eldatárin nu Tarmenel
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic19155_1.gif

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

I like it. A clean and simple handout for the players.

BOB
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org

Well, it's a good start, but it's hard to say more since I have no sense of scale and size. The south looks very empty, is all!

Very nice details on the mountian, and a beautiful take on the forests. If this is to be a map for a videogame, are you going to include cities and/or names of geographical features? If you are going to include settlements, I'd suggest drawing them out or drawing little castles, walled cities, a few huts close together, and stuff like that. It would be a shame to just put dots on such a beautifully drawn map. Other than that I have no suggestions, well done!

Quote Originally Posted by anstett View Post
    I like it. A clean and simple handout for the players.

BOB
    Didn't Servant of Thor say that he was making this for a videogame? While I agree that it looks like it could be a great handout for players, that may not be what he is looking to do with this map.

Thanks for the advice guys

On the scale that is just a very small portion I put up for some feedback on the art style, when I have more done I'll upload some more. And got it, keep it simple and clean yet detailed! Paradoxical. And thank you Wolgang for thinking it looks nice, I've never really drawn map, or anything, before.
    Nelde Cormar Eldatárin nu Tarmenel
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic19155_1.gif

Advice is a fickle thing.

The art style is very nice! Looking forward to seeing more.

Generally, muted colors are better choice. To that effect the parchment background would need to be more understated that way the hand drawn line work and color overlays become less garish looking. But again that more of a personal aesthetic choice.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Interesting looking map, I hope this turns out well. As for names, I can't really tell. Names usually go along with the inhabitants, culture, religion, generalness of a landmass. But maybe Hrollangia?

I like it, but i found at full size for some reason the black seems to bother my eyes.. is it blurred or something? i've seen similar things with the photoshop "magic marker" brush.. could be just me and my eyes

but i really like the forested areas, and the mts have a great organic quality..
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool