Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unpaid Commission - 3d Experiment

Default Unpaid Commission - 3d Experiment

This is my WIP for an unpaid commission by Shifty on this thread.

I'm learning a lot of this as I go along, so it won't be quick and I'll be asking for lots of advice!

So here are the first 3 images.

Shifty's original sketch
    The model
    The sketch wrapped on the model.

The next step will be to try and figure out what colours / textures to use that will fit this sort of map and to work out what I do for forests etc.

I'm thinking that oversized models of cities etc. would work quite well for this sort of map...so it almost looks like a table-top model rather than real terrain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Refpic.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	21653   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render_01.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	21654   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render_02.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	21655  

Very nice although on the third image the mountain ridge looks a bit... suddenly overwhelming

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I agree on the cities, that would look cool.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Cheers Guys. Jasper, once I've finished the texturing I might go back and play with the model (ohh that sounds like fun, shame it's not that sort of a model) and bring those mountains down a bit...I agree, they are a bit huge, but if I'm going for a table-top look that might be a good thing??? Not sure...

Exaggeration would be a good thing for this...like the old board game Life with the little plastic houses and hills.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

I've often found when working with 3D terrain, what looks good in a isometric view is hardly noticeable in a top down - you almost always have to over exagerate in order make the hills and mountains appear as such in a top down. This of course all depends on brightness of the light source, shadow values and textures used. Thus I find creating 3D terrain less useful for cartography than creating structures, statues, trees and other 3D objects.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Yeah I found that too, although that's mitigated to some extent by using RobA's forced perspective technique. I'll keep trucking...maybe the best way is to have it displayed at an angle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render_04.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	21660  

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Exaggeration would be a good thing for this...like the old board game Life with the little plastic houses and hills.
    I LOVED that game as a kid, particularly because the board had those 3d bits to it. Even the poor house looked cool.

Ooo, I like that. That looks sweet.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast