Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello everyone

Post Hello everyone

May I introduce myself

My name's Eilathen (Name's stolen from a book by Guy Gavriel Kay) and I live in Switzerland.
    I study mathematics and am on my way to become a teacher for said subject (already teaching one class). I like to read, write and do sports (Tennis, Running and general fitness/workout-trainings).
    Fantasy is a great hobby of mine. I read a lot of Novels (Top 4 atm are: Steven Erikson, George R. R. Martin, Scott R. Bakker and Michelle West) and i play in several RPGs.
    I am a total map-addict. Be it in a book or an rpg, i always locate the map first (and a book that has no map is only half a book for me)

I am often surfing around the internet for maps and this is where i found this forum. A lot of great work on here, I am in awe!
    My own maps are nowhere near this quality (I still draw most of my maps by hand). Over the last couple of years I started work on 3 Worlds but so far, i never finished one, unfortunately. I have some maps lying around but i do not have a working scanner so i cannot show you the maps atm.

Ups, already rambling

Just wanted to say hi...so... "Hi!"

Looking forward to all the map-goodness that is coming my way

Cheers
    Eilathen

Hi Eilathen!

Welcome aboard. There have been quite a few nice hand drawn maps popping up here, and always provide some insight, inspiration, or a bit of nostalgia.

-Rob A>

Welcome!

And let me say, with the world of the internet and computer graphics apps at your figertips, not being able to draw is no longer a valid excuse! It's fairly easy to turn even the worst maps into usable pieces of which you can be proud! Don't cut yourself short!

Once again, welcome!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Thanks guys, for the warm welcome

@ ravells - I try to scan the map i have lying around as soon as i have access to a working scanner, promise.

@ pyrandon - lol...your words in god's ear (a saying in german, don't know if it makes sense in english ^^ ) ... some of those computer-tools seem to be very difficult (Photoshop for exmaple) and such a lot of work to get into...well at least from my perspective...but maybe i am a bit computer-lazy But i will read the tutorials you have on here an who knows, maybe I will get into it...

Welcome! The phrase translates well into English as "From your lips to God's ear."

Photoshop and other graphics suites can, indeed, be intimidating, but they're well worth learning, and you can learn quite a bit by just fooling around with them. And if you don't have the cash to lay out for Photoshop, take a look at the Gimp: a freeware paint and photo editing program--lots of folks in these parts use it very successfully.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    some of those computer-tools seem to be very difficult (Photoshop for exmaple) and such a lot of work to get into...well at least from my perspective...but maybe i am a bit computer-lazy But i will read the tutorials you have on here an who knows, maybe I will get into it...
    Great! And don't forget to request a tutorial or ask anytime you need help!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Welcome Eilathan. I'm sure you''ll find exactly what you are looking for here, just ask. You mentioned your novell preferences, I just started getting into Steven Erikson and I'm loving it. Great stories, but IMHO he should have browsed around here before adding the maps to the beginning of the books, and maybe got Ravs or Pyrandon to do them

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Welcome, Eilathen!
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Welcome to the group. With the plethora of computer mapping aids out there, you will certainly find one that suits your needs.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast