Thread: Halloway Island

Default Halloway Island

Hi there!

Just wandered back here and looked through enormous amount of awesome maps, there are very talented people here! I got to cartographing few years ago, but only made two maps and then sadly kind of wandered away from it... Until now, when my friend needed a map of an island for his role playing game. He sent me a excel sheet with the general shape of the island, and markings for mountains, forests, swamps and villages. Nothing fancy here, but I think it's pretty good as I spent only few hours making it (I did use some textures I made earlier for some other map). Thanks for looking! This is finished work, but I'd gladly hear some c&c for future projects!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Halloway_island.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	534.6 KB 
ID:	57949

edit: oops, I uploaded an older version of the map... I tried to replace it but it shows both of 'em...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Halloway_island.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	527.4 KB 
ID:	57945  
    Last edited by Salama; 09-25-2013 at 01:02 PM. Reason: wrong file

That looks really good.

The only constructive criticism that I can offer would be to add a faint shadow to the woods to make the trees float above the background and give it a hint of a more 3D character.

Quote Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
    That looks really good.

The only constructive criticism that I can offer would be to add a faint shadow to the woods to make the trees float above the background and give it a hint of a more 3D character.
    Thanks! I have faint shadow on the top layer of the woods, but your right, the bottom layer is missing a shadow. Thanks for noticing!

Very good maps an draws...

Nice work Salma!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Finished Maps: Skenth - Prints Available!
    Works in Progress: Arinthia - region of Skenth

Need something commissioned? Send me a message!

Guild Novice

Upon a closer look, those are some interesting mountains. May I ask how you created them? Or what software you used?

Quote Originally Posted by jljansen View Post
    Upon a closer look, those are some interesting mountains. May I ask how you created them? Or what software you used?
    In Photoshop, with a brush I created for mountains. Then Bevel from layer styles with a tint of texture I also created for mountains. Last step was to do some shadows and highlights with a normal brush, and also some additional coloring.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Salama View Post
    In Photoshop, with a brush I created for mountains. Then Bevel from layer styles with a tint of texture I also created for mountains. Last step was to do some shadows and highlights with a normal brush, and also some additional coloring.
    Well I gotta hand it to you. They look great!

Thanks mate!