Thread: Pentaria

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Default Pentaria

A commissioned piece, depicting the continent of Pentaria.
    The provisional website gives more info.

Done in PS, flags in vector.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pentaria final.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	28029  

Sweet map. Actually I'm looking for a way to draw some flags like these you drew. The bull is really nice!

Did you create the shapes by hand? I often try to draw similar shapes, but I just do not get the hang how to do it with photoshop. The vector possibilities are limited so bad in ps. Can such a thing even be realized with it? Or do I definitely need a vector program?

Quabbe

Quote Originally Posted by Quabbe View Post
    Sweet map. Actually I'm looking for a way to draw some flags like these you drew. The bull is really nice!

Did you create the shapes by hand? I often try to draw similar shapes, but I just do not get the hang how to do it with photoshop. The vector possibilities are limited so bad in ps. Can such a thing even be realized with it? Or do I definitely need a vector program?

Quabbe
    What you can do is to prepare an image in PS, save it as .png or .jpeg, and then use a vector program to trace it. That's what I actually did with the bull.

That's purdy. Nice map! Repped if I can.
    M

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

cartograpic society? otherwise, good map!

Quote Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
    cartograpic society? otherwise, good map!
    Arrrgh!! Thanks, Rythal. Will send the client a new map.

Blog Entries

I like all the map except the trees - they are in a totally different style to your hills and mountains. I don't know if you've saved the TreeThing layers separately or all in one, but I would certainly put the shading on a different layer and change the blend mode. Or maybe you want the shading that dark to try and fit in with the thick lines of the mountains and hills? If so then I would put a light colour under the trees. They look really dark at the moment.
    Also, the pattern of the trees is very uniform - did you try putting some jitter on them?
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

The arrangement of the mountains is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    I like all the map except the trees - they are in a totally different style to your hills and mountains. I don't know if you've saved the TreeThing layers separately or all in one, but I would certainly put the shading on a different layer and change the blend mode. Or maybe you want the shading that dark to try and fit in with the thick lines of the mountains and hills? If so then I would put a light colour under the trees. They look really dark at the moment.
    Also, the pattern of the trees is very uniform - did you try putting some jitter on them?
    I played around with forests for some time before I decided for the actual version. So I'm aware that they are dark. But, of course, brighter forests were an option during the drawing process.
    As for the uniform shape of the forests: I studied some real examples I have in a book about old American maps. There was not as much variation in forest design as one might think.