Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP(and PS)

This tutorial is a perfect example of why I joined this forum. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by The Cartographist View Post
    Nice Tut! I look forward to trying the stuff out (no time right now)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Map Vandal View Post
    This tutorial is a perfect example of why I joined this forum. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Glad to be of help. Good work on the tute!

Thanks Guys... Please be sure to rate the thread after you have had a change to look over it(and I won't turn away an rep either).

I plan to add a few more additional tips and tricks the the thread when I have time, but this is the main meat of the thing.

For anyone who reads this who is new to using layer masks and has had some time to play, please let everyone know how useful this new learning is. I know for me, it was like a lightbulb and learning this one tool drastically changed the way I approach mapping, so I hope other are able to feel this same sense of wonderment also (and perhaps even some renewed passion for the art.... ie... post up some maps!)
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I am a fairly new GIMP user. Used to use PS CS, but trying to walk the straight and narrow these days. Found this thread very useful as I do any tips on how to use GIMP. Thanks! [Repped]

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alain View Post
    I am a fairly new GIMP user. Used to use PS CS, but trying to walk the straight and narrow these days. Found this thread very useful as I do any tips on how to use GIMP. Thanks! [Repped]

Your very welcome Sit Alain! I hope to eventually get some time to get PDF version with screenshots for those who can't do video easily and also add a few more uses I have found for layer masks.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Your very welcome Sit Alain! I hope to eventually get some time to get PDF version with screenshots for those who can't do video easily and also add a few more uses I have found for layer masks.
    That would be awesome! I collect tutes in pdf when I can get them and store them away in my reference library.

Guild Applicant

jfrazierjr,

I am new to mapping, but I have got to complete drawing maps for work. Finding your tutotials on layers, I believe, will help me get through some rough learning curves putting density on these maps. There are a few things that I have to learn, e.g. controlling the blending of shapes/colour onto the background, blending of shapes/colour of the next top layer, etc. This piece on layer is quite helpful. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ransw View Post
    jfrazierjr,

I am new to mapping, but I have got to complete drawing maps for work. Finding your tutotials on layers, I believe, will help me get through some rough learning curves putting density on these maps. There are a few things that I have to learn, e.g. controlling the blending of shapes/colour onto the background, blending of shapes/colour of the next top layer, etc. This piece on layer is quite helpful. Thanks.

Thanks for posting Ransw and welcome to the guild. Be sure to pop over to the Member Introduction forum and post a note saying hi. Also, once you start on your map(s) start one or more threads in the appropriate Work in Progress forum(s) and we will be more than happy to help.

Finally, please be sure to rate any tutorial threads use use. I would also highly suggest going through the Regional Map tutorial by RobA as there a TONS of useful techniques for GIMP and you can really learn a lot.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Awesome tutorial. Thanks. *REPPED*

Guild Novice

Nicely done

I've been blundering around layer styles in GIMP for a couple of days now. Nice to get some clarity!

Guild Apprentice

Hope it's ok to post in such an old thread - you said this was aimed at helping people who might have been using Gimp for a while but don't use layer masks because they don't understand them. As someone completely new to Gimp (I installed it 2 days ago), I think you've saved me a LOT of future work.

I'm working through the continent tutorial by RobA and after reading that whole thread, all 39 pages of it, I came across this tutorial. It has helped me already - I have completed the new version of the mountain tutorial by RobA but want one of my mountains to have different colors. It was easy to do by just adding a layer mask over the mountains, duplicating the layer, removing the mountain in question from one layer mask and removing all but the mountain in question in the other layer mask. I was then free to experiment with noise, gradients, bumps etc on the one mountain without affecting the rest.

Considering I'm 2 days into using Gimp, I'm very pleased with being able to to this kind of stuff already - thanks to this and RobA's tutorial!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast