Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Drifting Keep

Map The Drifting Keep

My second map. I loved doing this - lots of fun. But, holy cow, does the time zip by... This one took longer than my first because of all those damn angles and curves.

I tried "grunging" it up a bit, but I couldn't get anything that was really satisfying. It seemed too distracting. I guess I just prefer simple, clean lines over the realism. I did add more furnishing. In fact I may have gotten a tad carried away with them... Oh, well. At least I've added a bunch of new bits and pieces to my budding mapping library.

The map was originally sketched out about a year ago. My gaming group had survived 3 years of my torturous DM-ing and finally hit 20th level. I rewarded their surviving characters with this keep as a kind of retirement home.

Anyway, hope you like it. Let me know if you have any suggestions or thoughts, or ideas for my next one. I was thinking about trying to make one of those 3D isometric maps. Getting one out of Photoshop ought to be a challenge...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DriftingKeep.jpg 
Views:	493 
Size:	546.6 KB 
ID:	1850  
    Last edited by rlucci; 12-04-2007 at 12:49 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thats a pretty nifty concept! Is it supposed to be over water drifting?

I did notice the numbering was off...might want to check that.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    Is it supposed to be over water drifting?
    Not specifically. I just thought that a vague sky-ish backdrop would look nice...

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    I did notice the numbering was off...might want to check that.
    Doh! I did the text last and was so geeked about finishing, that I must have rushed through it... Thanks for the heads up. I'll fix it later tonight.

I need to add proof-reading to my list of mapping scutwork.

Quote Originally Posted by rlucci View Post
    My second map. I loved doing this - lots of fun. But, holy cow, does the time zip by... This one took longer than my first because of all those damn angles and curves.
    Yeah - a map like this would probably be way easier in a vector program, like illustrator or inkscape (and would probably match your preferred, clean style, better as well).

I was thinking about trying to make one of those 3D isometric maps. Getting one out of Photoshop ought to be a challenge...
    Search the forums for "sketchup" and you will find some nice examples of quick 3d...

-Rob A>

Wow--that looks great! Well done, rlucci!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

A Super cool map. Have some rep!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by rlucci View Post
    I need to add proof-reading to my list of mapping scutwork.
    Why do you need a whole room devoted to putting on rouge? I mean, a table and mirror should do...

(Man, I can tell you some horror stories about my mis-spelings, Incorekt Kapitalizashuns and grammar of tortured nature... which is why I always feel better when someone critical looks at my work and catches those errors for me)

Cool retirement home.

Everything looks good except for two things that stood out for me.
    1) The water in room 8, assuming it is supposed to be a bath, looks like a big pillow instead of a bath.
    2) You have fireplaces, but no where for the smoke to go, unless they are magically filtered or something.

Question, is this supposed to be floating through the sky or on water? I think Arcana asked that above, but the answer you gave wasn't what I was expecting. I'm not referring to the background you chose, but to what makes it a "drifting keep".

EDIT: And I think it would be cool if the trees on top were fruit trees, and perhaps there was some sort of chickens or sheep roaming about. That way they would have a bit more self sufficiency food wise. Unless of course they count a high level Cleric among their members in which case never mind.
    Last edited by RPMiller; 12-07-2007 at 01:36 PM.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    The water in room 8, assuming it is supposed to be a bath, looks like a big pillow instead of a bath.
    Yeah. I wasn't entirely happy with it either. I think I've worked out a better water technique now...

You have fireplaces, but no where for the smoke to go, unless they are magically filtered or something.
    Magically taken care of. I decided that when I realized the fireplaces on one of my floors didn't line up with the other floors. I debated the value of re-doing that level vs. just saying, "shoot, it's magic". I chose the more expedient route.

Question, is this supposed to be floating through the sky or on water? I think Arcana asked that above, but the answer you gave wasn't what I was expecting. I'm not referring to the background you chose, but to what makes it a "drifting keep".
    The keep is supposed to be magically levitating. Floating high in the air.

My players thought it would be fun to float over a major city and eat lots of high-fiber food.

"Launch the red dragons! We'll show them what all that build up of gas will do for them!"
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast