Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dirgen the world map for my upcoming book: The Dark Lineage

Map Dirgen the world map for my upcoming book: The Dark Lineage

This map is for my upcoming book (more like story) The Dark Lineage. The book will be completely online and free to read. Though i am not a writer nor am i studying for such a thing i love fantasy and i love a good story, once the first chapter is done i will give the link to anyone interested on reading it as it will be uploaded by chapters... anyways back to the map!!

The map was made completely in photoshop, i used the pencil tool with a brush diameter of 2 for the border of the world and a brush diameter of 1 for the lines representing the water. To achieve this effect simply create two layers (one for the terrain and one for the "water" lines) place the terrain layer above the other one, after u are done with the layout of the world just give it a white fill. For the waterlines make alot of vertical lines once the layout of the world is made u just need to erase portions of the lines as you see in my map and make blank spots for large masses of water. For the terrain itself (mountains and forests etc) you have two choices; draw them or use any symbols for maps that you prefer such as cc2 (i did both).

To give a symbol a nifty inky look just go to image menu hit on calculate (this will give you a monochromatic version of the image) then to image menu once again and click on adjustments > Brightness/Contrast... play with the settings to create the perfect desired effect, the rest is left to your imagination.

I hope you all liked the small tutorial (if it could be called one) i assumed that those interested have some basic knowledge of how photoshop works, let me know guys what you think of my map!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	worldmap.jpg 
Views:	879 
Size:	648.4 KB 
ID:	518  
    Last edited by megrim; 07-10-2007 at 07:19 AM.

I really like your map Megrim. The combination of old explorer's map with a fantasy standard approach really works IMHO.

Well done.
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Well done! Repped! :cool:

Just one nitpick that stuck out: Some of your "water texture" is inland. Other than that you seem to definitely hit on a great style.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Well done! Repped! :cool:

Just one nitpick that stuck out: Some of your "water texture" is inland. Other than that you seem to definitely hit on a great style.
    haha that is a common misinterpretation, it is actually dirt see how the lines are shorter and most of them dont flow with the water, it is a common thing in old maps. Thanks for the observation though!!
    Last edited by megrim; 07-10-2007 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by megrim View Post
    haha that is a common misinterpretation, it is actually dirt see how the lines are shorter and most of them dont flow with the water, it is a common thing in old maps. Thanks for the observation though!!
    Bottom center - They look pretty much exactly the same as the water lines, and are inline with them as well.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Bottom center - They look pretty much exactly the same as the water lines, and are inline with them as well.
    indeed... i will have to turn that into a swampland to give an excuse to the lines =P

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Lovely map!

Ravs
    Well then give 'em some rep!
    Quote Originally Posted by megrim View Post
    indeed... i will have to turn that into a swampland to give an excuse to the lines =P
    LOL

Now that we have both repped him do you see how the square is green in his header? That is what it will do as users accumulate rep. Additional boxes will also start showing up the more they get.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast