Thread: WIP: Map of the Twin Peninsulas

Wip WIP: Map of the Twin Peninsulas

My first WIP, my first attempt at making a relatively traditional looking map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	1,016.4 KB 
ID:	54538

I'm making up the whole thing as I go along, although I do have a brief history of the region outlined. I'm going to have to go around adding more detail here and there as I flesh it out.

The map is written with a conlang so you won't be able to translate it with Google.

Advice and critique is greatly appreciated!

Thanks to Vorropohaiah for the inspiration.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Not a bad start A few comments: your coastlines needs a bit more of work to look more natural. Also the shields don't really blend very well with the map at the moment.I'd suggest to tone down/mute the colors abit and/or add a light texture similar to the one used on the map on them with a fitting blending mode to make it blend better. You use some projection and graticules here: your labels should be curved along paths according to those graticules. Staight labels don't really make sense fot now.Hope it helps.

I find the path that the river takes possible, but somewhat implausible. The way that it flows now would require a peninsula where the center is lower than the edges, which is unusual. And you do not depict mountains along the western edge like you do along the eastern. That implies that the western edge is relatively flat, so it would it would be much more believable that a river or rivers that originate in the mountains would simply flow straight west or southwest to the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Not a bad start A few comments: your coastlines needs a bit more of work to look more natural. Also the shields don't really blend very well with the map at the moment.I'd suggest to tone down/mute the colors abit and/or add a light texture similar to the one used on the map on them with a fitting blending mode to make it blend better. You use some projection and graticules here: your labels should be curved along paths according to those graticules. Staight labels don't really make sense fot now.Hope it helps.
    Thanks for the tips; I've roughened up the coastline and redid the effects on the shields. Is this any better?

Quote Originally Posted by AtmoGuy View Post
    I find the path that the river takes possible, but somewhat implausible. The way that it flows now would require a peninsula where the center is lower than the edges, which is unusual. And you do not depict mountains along the western edge like you do along the eastern. That implies that the western edge is relatively flat, so it would it would be much more believable that a river or rivers that originate in the mountains would simply flow straight west or southwest to the sea.
    Thank you, I'll keep that in mind for my next map. I'd rather not change it now or Hödi'gu (河地国/River Nation)won't make any sense.

Renamed/Fixed a few labels, and added some new labels and geographic features. I've translated the map to English for now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map(ENG).jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	54640

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Yea better for me though you still need to curve your labels to fit the graticules and I'm agree, this river's path is implausible, you should try to work on it.