Thread: Map of my little world

Guild Novice

Default Map of my little world

Dear cartographers, I am so excited to have found this site. The work here is amazing! First a little back story: When I was 16 I was not allowed to date, so when I chose to violate this parental policy I created my own language in order to conceal my debauchery. This language has grown over the years and is a bit of a hobby-obsession of mine. My children speak it, as does my hubby to a lesser extent, it is a secret language and dear to me. The language grew big enough to need background and ambiance, and that required a world, so now I have a whole little world in notebooks and bits of paper. I have hand drawn a map, but it's a bit of scratch, as I am not artistically blessed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world pruum.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	486.9 KB 
ID:	44397   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map2.jpg 
Views:	1391 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	44398  
    Last edited by scribblemama; 11-16-2012 at 11:11 PM.

Guild Novice

http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...1&d=1323921161

This map is the exact style I want, but coloured.

Blog Entries

I might be interested. I have a background in GIS and know how to make maps that actually reflect spherical geometry, so that you really could put it on a globe and it's wouldn't look distorted. You can see examples of my work here: http://draconic.ca/portfolio/ http://www.cartographersguild.com/album.php?&u=9958

This sounds a lot like it could be quite open ended an involve a lot of back and forth and adaptation to make it work on a globe, and that, especially combined with the desire for copyright means I'd want to do it on an hourly rate basis with payment as it progresses. Any fixed quote I gave would be a complete guess that would probably bite one of us in the ass. It also means if you decide you want to take what's been done and stop or switch to someone else to finish it, that's fine and I'd provide all the source and intermediate data.

Also, simply zooming in on a map doesn't really work. This has to do with the problems of the globe being, well, a globe, and a map being flat. Different maps need different projections based on their extents and purposes. If you specifically need "zoomability" at the cost of a number of having other problems, the normal Mercator projection can work, as in web mapping applications. But it really isn't a good projection for final, static maps except for those used in a particular form of early marine navigation and a few other special cases, and it's not at all appropriate for large scale (Zoomed in) maps. If you want larger scale maps to look right, you have to essentially redraw them in a more appropriate projection. Details and symbolization also need to change as you change scale which likewise requires redrawing. Using a GIS can help somewhat with this.

Guild Novice

Hai-Etlik, can you send me an example of the style you would do my map in? What would your hourly rate be?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scribblemama View Post
    Hai-Etlik, can you send me an example of the style you would do my map in? What would your hourly rate be?
    I linked to examples of what I do, you can mix and match elements from them. I suppose my default style would be something like I used on Bākoi and my Lampshade map. We can negotiate about the details of payment via private messages or email. I've sent you an email.

Guild Novice

I have accepted the offer of Adam Schmidt, thank you very much to the others who applied.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Marked as taken