Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sep/Oct Lite Entry - Mapbox

Post Sep/Oct Lite Entry - Mapbox

This is a deserted room somewhere out on the Final Frontier, and no wilder frontier is known to humankind.

On the floor is a broken mapbox (a Traveller invention that was wild SciFi in its day, but which we would describe today as a GPS device in a digital photo frame) Use your wildest imagination to figure how it got broken.

The shards of the screen still intermittently display a map of a ruin in the wilderness of some far-flung planet in the wilder reaches of the Orion Arm.

This challenge has got me developing some skills in basic gif animation.
    I have ideas for a number of animated maps. Soon this site will be littered with animated starship deckplans with winking lights and operational consoles. Bwahahahar...

Remember, you first saw animated maps here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mapbox.gif 
Views:	181 
Size:	604.9 KB 
ID:	17386  
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

That is a fantastic idea! Could you create a simple tutorial on how you accomplished the animation?

Yeah, great idea. Nice to see the lightning bolt at work
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Cool idea! But don´t forget the "Latest WIP"-thing in your post to participate with this map ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Avulsion View Post
    That is a fantastic idea! Could you create a simple tutorial on how you accomplished the animation?
    Thanks Avulsion.

Done.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=7371

Enjoy.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

Quote Originally Posted by Adanvo View Post
    Cool idea! But don´t forget the "Latest WIP"-thing in your post to participate with this map ;-)
    Thanks.
    AFAIK, Redrobes' thumbnail collector is intelligent enough to find the last image without the marker. That just helps if you have multiple images and you've followed your masterpiece with another image.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

Blog Entries

Yes, ideally you should have a WIP tag but if not then it takes last image in challenge threads and first image in finished maps. Of course, if I post an image then that will be the new WIP thumb for this thread...

Also note, a while back I added support in the scraper to do gif anims so when I finally get around to sorting out the current challenge thumbs then you should have an animated thumb image too.

Blog Entries

Drok, it seems the thumbnailer has borked the gif anim. Not a lot I can do about this as its all being done on the CG's ISP now not locally. I bet they have a really old version of Image Magick on there.

Quote Originally Posted by icosahedron View Post

Remember, you first saw animated maps here.
    Not quite, my fine friend!! (Although my effort was truly horrible!)

It's looking really good and I'd love to see more animation in our maps. The trade mapping contest in the main comp is just crying out for an animated one.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Not quite, my fine friend!! (Although my effort was truly horrible!)

It's looking really good and I'd love to see more animation in our maps. The trade mapping contest in the main comp is just crying out for an animated one.
    Darn!

Oh well, great minds think alike, they say. Looks like it would be a good technique for moving strategic unit markers on a 'course of the battle' map.

The main competition is WAY out of my league. THIS comp is out of my league, it's just good to poke around with new ideas...

Redrobes, no worries about the thumbs. Surely nobody votes from those alone?
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast