Thread: Making a medieval fantasy world out of prehistoric earth.

Default Making a medieval fantasy world out of prehistoric earth.

I want to make a medieval style fantasy world out of Pangea. There's a lot of scattered resources on the webs of different time periods, so if you have an album of ocean currents, biomes, ect, I'd be happy to take a look. Right now, I'm using http://www.earthgrind.com/wp-content...arthimg081.jpg as a reference. What would be the best time period for this sort of thing? (doesn't have to be pangea, it can be any prehistoric time at least 10 mya) Any advice appreciated.

I think that is an awesome idea and that you should just go for it
    Here are some resources:
    ORBIS - for figuring out realistic travel distances etc.

Medieval Demographics Made Easy - for demographics
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Finished Maps: Skenth - Prints Available!
    Works in Progress: Arinthia - region of Skenth

Need something commissioned? Send me a message!

Guild Journeyer

Map A sea for me?

Quote Originally Posted by iamthelol View Post
    What would be the best time period for this sort of thing? (doesn't have to be pangea, it can be any prehistoric time at least 10 mya) Any advice appreciated.
    Well, one of my first attempts ever at mapping on a computer was a project very similar to this. I had wanted a world with a Mediterranean Sea type region, so I chose 210 mya, which I think is part of the Triassic? I basically took the outline of the continent and tried to fill the rest with a medieval world of my own.

http://cpgeosystems.com/namTr210.jpg

My attempt was, well, a bit embarrassing. In my defense, I had not yet heard of the Cartographer's Guild (or read any of their tutorials)!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world5-1b.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	63674
    I had high hopes for that project at the time and did not give up on it, I ended up doing more development of individual regions later on, the sea region in particular, but eventually other projects consumed my time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map-seamod1-Layout1.gif 
Views:	289 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	63675

I think having those seas cut through the continent made for a more diverse and interesting world than a fully connected Pangea. The seas seemed to be the real fun parts for me, so I would suggest moving your timeframe one way or another to get a few more encroaching seas. I may still have that sea region in CAD somewhere if you are interested...

Looks like a fun project! Good luck!

I suspect that the Paleomap Project would be helpful to you.

Or, why not set your worldbuilding 250 million years in the future, on Pangaea Ultima?

Actually, if it hasn't been done already that would make a great mapping challenge...
    Last edited by acrosome; 05-05-2014 at 11:04 AM.