Thread: Hello, lovely to meet you

Guild Novice Kiarelle Alaisdair's Avatar

Default Hello, lovely to meet you

This site seems to be a fountain of information and talent, I've watched it for awhile now and finally decided to join. I've drawn a few maps but never been quiet happy with them, so the main area I'll be lurking in on here at first will certainly be the tutorial section. I want to create old style maps, everything from world maps, to country ones, to cities. Any tips for a artist who draws the maps rather then using a program for them are more then welcome! There are some awesome programs out there that I've seen but...map creation is something I want to learn as a illustrator.

Anyway, done rambling

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Taking the hand-drawn route is the more difficult route unless you have some skillz and vision - if you have those then nothing else really matters except maybe some inspirations to prod you along or prod you away from. My advice is to look at as many maps as you can and save some so that you can inspect the techniques used. There are a few tuts for drawing maps (as opposed to generating maps with programs) for both software and pen/paper. So poke around and welcome.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Taking the hand-drawn route is the more difficult route unless you have some skillz and vision - if you have those then nothing else really matters except maybe some inspirations to prod you along or prod you away from. My advice is to look at as many maps as you can and save some so that you can inspect the techniques used. There are a few tuts for drawing maps (as opposed to generating maps with programs) for both software and pen/paper. So poke around and welcome.
    Well I'm a illustrator so skillz and vision I do hope I have...not that I've ever done much more then outline continents and countries but...if I can learn all the other stuff school has thrown at me then I hope I can handle this. I am rambling about and have seen some amazing maps, just gorgeously done. This forum has so much talent.

Thank you for the welcome

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Forgot to mention, try out some of the tutorials just to learn the other techniques and become familiar with them. Something you pick up here or there might come in handy later on down the road. I know they've helped me with my experiments.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thank you for the welcome Neon Knight and Steel General

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Forgot to mention, try out some of the tutorials just to learn the other techniques and become familiar with them. Something you pick up here or there might come in handy later on down the road. I know they've helped me with my experiments.
    I will Some of the map programs listed here don't seem to work with Mac's, (which is what I have) but I have Illustrator and Photoshop and Painter so I'll probably toy around in those with some of the tutorials. I tried one of the land massing ones last night and got really confused >.< Map making is so not an easy thing but I find it fascinating.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Guild.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild Kiarelle.

One thing that you should know is that quite a few of the Artists here are using a tablet to do quite a bit of work on these maps. Some of the techniques they use should translate pretty well to the Pen and Paper mapping. It might be a bit more problematic when they go into textures and filters and other stuff like that. I would still suggest looking through the tuts as they are as mush about work flow and thought process as much as the techniques used.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Thank you for the welcome jtougas ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    Welcome to the Guild Kiarelle.

One thing that you should know is that quite a few of the Artists here are using a tablet to do quite a bit of work on these maps. Some of the techniques they use should translate pretty well to the Pen and Paper mapping. It might be a bit more problematic when they go into textures and filters and other stuff like that. I would still suggest looking through the tuts as they are as mush about work flow and thought process as much as the techniques used.
    I think everyone on this site is an artist really, there is some amazing work done on here! But I have noticed that looking around a bit. I should have clarified though, I would be using my tablet and Photoshop probably for the maps (I don't think it would work well in Painter and Illustrator confuses the hell out of me). The tutorials on here are pretty amazing ^^. Thanks for the advice.