Thread: Province of Atlene

Wip Province of Atlene

here is a W.I.P. for the Province of Atlene - the main region my comic will reside in. this is a part of a whole map [which has yet to be created], and the name of the continent is Anuh'Ra. it is a Pangaea-type continent, and has different regions, and different weather patterns.

credit to rpgmapmaker for the mountain brushes. i'll eventually go back in and create my own, but those are just there for placement! it's also quite bare; i'm still in the process of adding in roads and rivers, as well as other small details.

any and all crits/comments are appreciated!

photoshop + wacom tablet.

© M.S. Isaacs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anuh-Ra_Map.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	199.9 KB 
ID:	4711  
    Last edited by Dezee; 06-27-2008 at 08:47 PM. Reason: added more information.

Nice color choice. I'm not sure if my monitor is displaying it correctly, but from here, I think you could lighten the land color a bit more so it contrasts more with both the water and the mountain symbols.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Agreed. More contrast would be good. I think the border looks a bit too bright, too... perhaps go for a beige-and-brown border rather then a yellow-and-red border?

Otherwise, very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Smith View Post
    Agreed. More contrast would be good. I think the border looks a bit too bright, too... perhaps go for a beige-and-brown border rather then a yellow-and-red border?

Otherwise, very nice!
    the reason why i have the border as red & gold is because that is them main color theme for my comic. i could darken it a little so it doesn't distract people from the map itself.

thank you though!<3

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr
    Nice color choice. I'm not sure if my monitor is displaying it correctly, but from here, I think you could lighten the land color a bit more so it contrasts more with both the water and the mountain symbols.
    thanks! :C

i'll see what i can do to lighten the land...i'll update again [edit my post to be more exact] when i have made the changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezee View Post
    the reason why i have the border as red & gold is because that is them main color theme for my comic. i could darken it a little so it doesn't distract people from the map itself.

thank you though!<3

thanks! :C

i'll see what i can do to lighten the land...i'll update again [edit my post to be more exact] when i have made the changes.
    I think it looks pretty good as is, though I would not mind seeing a higher res version if you have one.

My only nit to pick is to be very careful with your mountain laying. It looks like you have several right sides (which should be on top) being crossed by the shadowy right sides. Does that make sense? It's hard to say it right...

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think I see what yer gettin at, the brush spacing, creating the impression that the mountains are overlapping instead of one hiding behind the other. Was that it? Simple fix though, just erase those overlapping parts...those lil triangular bits poking into the mountain next to it or set the brush spacing to something larger.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I think I see what yer gettin at, the brush spacing, creating the impression that the mountains are overlapping instead of one hiding behind the other. Was that it? Simple fix though, just erase those overlapping parts...those lil triangular bits poking into the mountain next to it or set the brush spacing to something larger.

True, the problem is if your painting in a large number sometimes they get lost in the crowd. As you said, not an insurmountable problem, it's just something you have to be real careful with if you plan to use any type of translucent brushes like this. Or it could just be that I'm too anal... take your pick...

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.