Thread: Minimum size for a world map in pixels?

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected aminowrimo's Avatar

Question Minimum size for a world map in pixels?

I'm trying to make a map of my world. Currently I've got 2000 * 4000 px (horizontal), but I'm not sure if this is large enough. What is the minimum size you try to work with when creating a world map?

Quote Originally Posted by aminowrimo View Post
    I'm trying to make a map of my world. Currently I've got 2000 * 4000 px (horizontal), but I'm not sure if this is large enough. What is the minimum size you try to work with when creating a world map?
    I think 4000x2000 is a good size for the hard copy of the landmasses as seen in an equirectangular projection. That's how big mine is. But then again, I'm trying to keep my hard copy saved as an Illustrator PATH instead of an IMAGE. That way, no information is lost blowing it up or shrinking it down (vector vs. raster). I think most people here operate, when making map maps, in 300 dpi and variable image sizes.

Thank you very much! I thought at one point about using vector maps, but frankly, I've never had the interest in getting past whatever learning curve there is. XD

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aminowrimo View Post
    Thank you very much! I thought at one point about using vector maps, but frankly, I've never had the interest in getting past whatever learning curve there is. XD
    I hear ya! I'm an advocate of using vectors, I almost always do at least the beginnings of my maps with Illustrator, but I've been using it for so long I forget what kind of learning curve there is. I like the control it gives me, and, as Adolon said, the ability to scale later. That said, it looks like you're doing fine without, but Inkscape might be a good place to try your hand, as it is free.

cheers
    Meshon

I think I've downloaded and deleted Inkscape at least twice... I do need to make some sort of timeline to research all these things, though. There is so much to learn, and so many other cool things to explore.