Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Dungeon Style

Post New Dungeon Style

Hey All,

It's been quite a long while since I was a regular here. Nice to see the home fires still burning-- and brighter than ever!

I've been playing around with GIMP and came up with a new style for my maps and wanted to know what people thought. I suppose it's not really new or all that original, but the process of generating it is new for me. I suppose one could call it "generic old school - b&w".

The process, if anything, is a mixture of hand-drawn (because I love to draw this stuff) work combined with some things that I think RobA must have done in his fantastic dungeon creation script.

Any thoughts or criticisms would be greatly appreciated.

"Tim"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Style Dungeon.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	299.4 KB 
ID:	19649  

i like it. clean. crisp. very readable. but with some hatching funkiness.

how do you get into this dungeon?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It has a very 'old school' vibe to it - I like it
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I love it! It is nice and easy to "read". The crosshatching adds a bit of detail without over complicating things. One minor thing I did notice is the map grid lines seem to have different thickness in spots. For example, the horizontal line in the centre is thinner than the horizontal lines near the bottom. Definitely worth some rep!
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

@philipstephen - Actually, you don't. This was just a test run of some techniques--not a dungeon to be used in a game.

@Turgenev - Thank you very much. Praise from someone who I consider one of the best. As far as the grid lines, you are correct. For whatever reason, when I exported from the Gimp's .xcf into a .jpg, that was a result.

Of note, the "resolution" that the .xcf was done in was 60pixels per square which will yield a nominal 300pixels per inch when I do the full size dungeon maps for printing.

Now all I need to do is contact RobA with a detailed description of my process to have him generate a script to do the work for me.

Of course, assuming that RobA is amenable to such a thing, I/he would make the script available to the community, and I could do a quick tutorial (if there is any interest) on the manual aspects.

Once that is complete, I will start churning out dungeons almost as fast as Turgenev himself does.

Nice style. Clean is cool.
    M

Quote Originally Posted by The Cartographist View Post
    Now all I need to do is contact RobA with a detailed description of my process to have him generate a script to do the work for me.

Of course, assuming that RobA is amenable to such a thing, I/he would make the script available to the community, and I could do a quick tutorial (if there is any interest) on the manual aspects.

Once that is complete, I will start churning out dungeons almost as fast as Turgenev himself does.
    I'm always game.

I can get something quite close to this with my big script already:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scripted.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	178.3 KB 
ID:	19685

The only thing I had to do was invert the colour of the wall shadow layer and then add the feathering to the walls mask.

-Rob A>

I dunno, for some reason this reminded me of an old western where some young slick guy walks out into the middle of the street and calls out the local gunslinger...

"Let's see what you got old man!", shouted Slick.

The gunslinger turned half way around as squinting, he sized up this new threat.

Suddenly, the afternoon stillness was shattered by the roar of gunfire. So fast was the draw that no one saw the weapon clear it's holster.

The first shot sent the challenger's gun spinning into the air. The second, fired almost in the same instant, put a hole through his new hat. The third was lost in the deafening echoes, still, Slick wondered why the spur of his right boot was turned at an odd angle and spinning at an incredible speed. "How'd that happen", he wondered.

Slick lay stunned upon the dusty road trying to piece together the fight. He'd never seen anyone that quick.

[The camera zooms in to a smoking gun held in a perfectly steady hand.]

----------------------
    In other words, that was pretty impressive RobA

PS. The above bit of poorly written fiction is for entertainment only and in no way represents the actual feelings of the characters portrayed. It is not to imply any sort of challenge ever actually existed. Afterwards the above characters went to the tavern and had milk and cookies...in dirty glasses of course.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

RobA IS the fastest gun in the west, period.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast