Thread: Just poking my head in to say hi.

Post Just poking my head in to say hi.

Since I have been lurking on these forums for a few days I thought I’d step into the spotlight and say hi.

Hi!

I’m an Icelandic person living in Australia. I have been playing role-playing games for the last 15 years and making maps for fun even longer.

I’m a Geographer by trade and work for a planning consultation company. As a part of my job I do real world maps for reports and presentations. Mostly thematic maps (Data displayed on a map), but also do a lot of locational and explanatory maps. I mostly use GIS programs (MapInfo 9.5) and GIMP 2.6 for the finishing touches. I also use aerial photographs, satellite images and other such real world data for my maps Just added a few maps to give an example of my recent work (see attached).

The reason I’m in the forum is that I would like to pick up some skills in how to create fantasy maps from scratch on the computer and generally hone my skills.

See you around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Location map.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	8533   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Areas_II.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	8534   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QLD Showing Townsville and Thuringowa.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	8535  
    ---
    Gorkamorka

Welcome gorkamorka!

Blog Entries

HI there, nice handle BTW. We have a few Aussies now marked on the members map - link below in sig so add yourself if you feel like it. Nobody from Iceland as far as I know tho. Interesting maps you posted. Theres another link in my sig for keywords where you can look at lists of threads by topic and theres plenty of tutorials - Gimp is very popular here so many in that set. Of course you might be able to show us a thing or two so look forward to more posts.

We have reputation system on these forums and ill 'rep' you to change that blue dot into a green one - banish the blue pip o shame as Neon says - and get you off of a zero, your maps already show that you have great skill.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Since it appears you already have some "serious skillz" in mapping I'm sure you'll be cranking out the fantasy maps in no time.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Welcome!

Welcome, Gorkamorka.

I must say that is an interesting screen name. Is there a story behind it?

You certainly don't have to be concerned about your mapping skill as your sample maps are wonderful.

I'm sure you'll be able to find what you're looking for here and then more.

I look forward to chatting with you around the forums.

Regards,

Gary
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

How comfortable are you with GIMP? I would say unless you consider your self an intermediate or advanced user to start off by taking a look at RobA's regional map tutorial. More than anything, this tutorial allows you to learn a HUGE array of GIMP techniques while at the same time applying them to making an actual map. If you are not comfortable with layer masks, then I would suggest my own tutorial. In my opinion, learning to use Layer masks is one of the huge mental shifts in terms of creativity, for me, it was like a lightbulb, eureka type moment when I finally "got it" and realized just how useful using layer masks could be.

I would also highly suggest getting Python set up with GIMP if you do not already have it and grab all of the various GIMP scripts and plugin's that are available on the site. Then open a Work in Progress thread and start posting up some work!
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild Gork!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thank you all for the 'rep' and the warm welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    Welcome, Gorkamorka.

I must say that is an interesting screen name. Is there a story behind it?
    Gary
    The handle is something out of Games Workshop Warhammer 40k offshoot. A game about orks in fast cars shooting other orks. I started using it in an Icelandic forum about 15 years ago and it's stuck with me since. I'm sure Gork Approves...Or maybe it was Mork?
    ---
    Gorkamorka