Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cover art

Post Cover art

As some of you know I am writing a couple of fantasy novels and I might self publish them. I still need some cover art though. What is a good place to meet people who do commissions, other than Deviantart?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

What about ConceptArt.org?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Dementia 5 Artist Forums

Though there's only a dozen or so artist's posting work at Dementia 5 Publishing, the place I'm doing Kaidan through - all my illustrators are from that site. I got good deals on prices for work, so it might be worth checking out.

Dementia 5 site click on the Community, then visit Art Forum.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Posting in the http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12 area of concept art is a good way to get a lot of responses.

Equally, you'll get a good response from rpg.net:
    http://forum.rpg.net/forumdisplay.php?f=12

It's also worth looking through the guys on the artorder blog and seeing how much they charge - you certainly get a good idea of the skill level from the weekly challenges:
    http://artorder.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the quick responses so far, guys. I will check out all the links.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Blog Entries

Are you that close to finishing or just thinking ahead?
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    Are you that close to finishing or just thinking ahead?
    I finished book 2 today. I was on holiday and did a lot of writing

Anyway, what kind of prices should I expect? I am kinda blundering about here.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Wow, good work! What size? Resolution? Level of detail? Do you want the artist to also do the layout? Will it be a wrap around cover, or just a front cover?

If it's a wrap around then you might be interested in this artorder challenge:
    http://artorder.blogspot.com/2009/08...ge-part-2.html

As for ballpark prices, it's going to be a couple of hundred dollars at least I'd expect, but I'm not an expert. You can certainly contact a few artists and ask for their rates for the task you are describing - and the more precise you can be, the more accurate their quotes will be. However it's certainly better to have a figure in mind before you go asking. You'll find a lot of quotes will be well above the couple of hundred dollar mark. The trick is in finding someone who wants the experience and is good. ConceptArt is probably a good bet for that as there are lots of art students on there.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

There'd be a lot of garbage to wade through, but a lot of great artists have work up on Elfwood (I even have a gallery there, but I'm a mediocre artist, at best). If you dig into those that are most favorited or the Mod's Choice there, you'll find some great work, and some of those folks are often open to commissions work.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    I finished book 2 today. I was on holiday and did a lot of writing

Anyway, what kind of prices should I expect? I am kinda blundering about here.
    Also... Congrats on getting some writing done. I've recently started getting some preliminary details together, myself, in preparation for the eventual opportunity to write (post grad-school, and post baby-needing-mommy-&-daddy's-every-waking-minute, I suppose), even without a completed map (it's taken me over a year, and while I'll continue on with it, writing is my first and primary love).

I wouldn't give up on traditional publishing outlets, completely. Although, I've heard of some who have found success by self-publishing first, and attracting the attention of mainstream publishers thereby, but it seems like it's a pretty rare story.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast